Quote Originally Posted by sjjonesnz View Post
Thanks for the response Bob much appreciated, that's kinda what I'm thinking but also looking to reuse as much as possible to minimise cost as much as possible given the NZ$ ~= US$0.65...

It also seems my actual questions didn't make my original post (my copy and paste must've failed me)...
1) Can the EM components be (easily) transferred to my EF, essentially to create an EE that could then become a secondary display with an AF5xxxx as primary, with the ethernet cable between them as with the AF3500s?? Any issues with that as it'd save me some $$ if I could??
2) Can I reuse the existing AFS engine, OAT, manifold, etc sensors with AF5xxxx screens?
3) Can I reuse the existing TruTrak autopilot servos if I were to install an AFS autopilot?
4) I've been thinking of using Garmin transponder/ADSB as they're certified and NZCAA are currently making that a requirement for entry into controlled airspace. I do want ADSB-IN with info displayed on the AF5xxxx. Any issues with that?
5) What else do I need to be aware of?? (the ultimate catch all

Bob mentioned a tradein/credit on my AF3500s, what's the value of that?

I didn’t catch that you were down under......

1. Probably, you’ll want to talk to AFS about that. While I’ve been walked through several other repairs, it isn’t that difficult, especially if you are comfortable with working with circuit cards. I’m an IT guy. However, AFS may want to do that work. If you have to send it back, that would negate any cost savings. I had two 4500s and a 3400 in my RV-10. I upgraded just the two 4500s due to budget constraints. I wished I had upgraded the 3400 at the same time. That will be a project for this year. No issues with data integration, but the UI and feature sets are different.

2. No issues with the sensors. That’s what I did.

3. Yes, but it would be less expensive to buy the Dynon servos, than to buy the AFS Pilot or Trutrak Vizion. Oops, I mean the Bendix/King Walter they changed the name to after the acquisition. Support for Trutrak products has dropped in the US as they now pushed support to a Bendix dealers, most of which don’t want to work on EAB aircraft.

4. You’ll have to ask AFS on this one. I’m not familiar with the Garmin output formats. many of the protocols on the new Garmin gear is proprietary and unique to garmin. If the Dynon/Trig unit is certified in NZ, I would highly recommend it. I know it’s certified in Europe, I don’t know the status in other countries. The 5500 integration is great. It’s all remotely controlled from the EFIS. The Dynon 472 also woks great for ADSB IN.

5. Just read up on the SV network and what are the cabling cabling requirements. The SV network actually makes wiring simpler if building new. You’ll need to determine which wires to remove and what you’ll need to install new. You can buy pre-made cables from AFS, which make the job easy. you’ll must likely will need a sv hub too. Read the V15 install manual. It’s a great source of information and will give you answers to many of your questions.

AFS was giving a discount when upgrading from one of their units. I assume they still are, but you’ll need to ask them. It was either 20% or 25%. I can’t remember.