Thread: Autiopilot Mode Change

Autiopilot Mode Change

Hi

I have an AFS 4500EE and 4500EF that are networked through an ARINC module. I have noticed when I change the A/P mode on the 4500EE and confirm the mode change I am then asked to confirm the mode change on the 4500EF. If I don't, the AFS displays show, for example, VARM on the EE but VOFF on the EF display. ON the other hand, if I change the mode on the 4500 EF, it is reflected correctly on the 4500EE. Is there something in the setup that I have missed? I would think that both screens should always reflect the same status for the autopilot.

Inquiring minds need to know....

Cheers

Les

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    Changes on the co-pilot/secondary (Non 175 IP Address) EFIS need to be acknowledged on the pilot ( 175 IP Address EFIS )
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn McGinnis View Post
    Changes on the co-pilot/secondary (Non 175 IP Address) EFIS need to be acknowledged on the pilot ( 175 IP Address EFIS )
    Hi Shawn, thanks for the response.

Why is this? If I confirm he change on the other screen, it seems redundant to confirm a second time. Even if I don't, the change still seems to have effect so the display on the second screen is misleading. This display conflict seems inappropriate or am I missing something.

Cheers

Les

We had a number of customer complaints where the "CoPilot" would change the EFIS NAV source in flight and the Pilot would not notice it causing a dangerous situation. The solution was to make any change on the copilot screen not force an automatic change on the pilots screen without the confirm. If the pilot makes a NAV source change both screens should change without a Confirm.

If your screens are properly configured (pilots screen IP: 175) you should not have even noticed this, unless you are reaching over and changing the NAV source using the Copilot screen.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Hi Rob

Now I understand. In my setup I got greedy and put both screens on my side! I'll change the IP address to 175 on the screen that I normally would use to select A/P modes.

Cheers

Les