Thread: VP-X Pro data interface to 3400s off line

VP-X Pro data interface to 3400s off line

Rob, first I want to say that your suggestion on my previous thread fixed the problem of no air on the 3400s by itself. However, I plugged everything into the VP-X Pro, and under line 36 VP-X configuration, it says that the VP-X is off line. I have now powered up almost every device through the VP-X Pro, and they work fine. I have the 3 shielded data wire cable plugged into the 9 pin serial port on the 3400s. Since I don’t know which serial port is #1, #2, #3, and #4, I tried under Admin settings to set #1 port to the VP-X and it won’t give me the option to set it to the VP-X Pro. I tried the same with # 2 port and it was the same. With my computer connected to the VP-X and using the Configurator, it says the EFIS data is missing. I checked the continuity end to end of each wire in the data cable. They checked good. I checked to see if the wires were grounding to each other. That checked good. I checked to see if the wires were making ground. That checked good. So I really think the data cable is good. The first wire is connected to pin #6 on the 3400s and the other end to VP-X J 1 pin 20. The second wire is connected to #2 pin and the other end to J1 pin 21. The last wire is connected to pin #1 and other end to J 1 pin 22. (8 0 8 – 12 M16). So what do I have to do to get the VP-X data cable ON LINE? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LyleM View Post
    Rob, first I want to say that your suggestion on my previous thread fixed the problem of no air on the 3400s by itself. However, I plugged everything into the VP-X Pro, and under line 36 VP-X configuration, it says that the VP-X is off line. I have now powered up almost every device through the VP-X Pro, and they work fine. I have the 3 shielded data wire cable plugged into the 9 pin serial port on the 3400s. Since I don’t know which serial port is #1, #2, #3, and #4, I tried under Admin settings to set #1 port to the VP-X and it won’t give me the option to set it to the VP-X Pro. I tried the same with # 2 port and it was the same. With my computer connected to the VP-X and using the Configurator, it says the EFIS data is missing. I checked the continuity end to end of each wire in the data cable. They checked good. I checked to see if the wires were grounding to each other. That checked good. I checked to see if the wires were making ground. That checked good. So I really think the data cable is good. The first wire is connected to pin #6 on the 3400s and the other end to VP-X J 1 pin 20. The second wire is connected to #2 pin and the other end to J1 pin 21. The last wire is connected to pin #1 and other end to J 1 pin 22. (8 0 8 – 12 M16). So what do I have to do to get the VP-X data cable ON LINE? Thanks

1. Make sure you have connected a TXD to a RXD , I just flew a 500 mile round trip to solve an EFIS issue because someone hooked TXD to TXD and RXD to RXD. A RS-232 Transmit MUST always be connected to a receiver.

2. Make sure you have the Serial port in the EFIS configured as VPX.

3. Make sure you have turned on the VPX configuration, ADMIN calibration item 36. VP-X configuration

4. Make sure you have the latest software from our web site.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Your connections look correct, you have it wired to serial port #4.

1. What version of EFIS software are you running?

2. Make sure you have not used the wrong pins, I get people flipping them all the time, they look at the pin number on the front and then flip the connector and put them in the opposite end.

3. You could also try another EFIS serial port.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Thanks Rob for the information. Changing it to port 4 did the trick. I just didn't read the wiring diagram close enough. Now the VP-X Pro and the 3400s are taking to each other.