Thread: OAT Gauge

OAT Gauge

Is there any way that my OAT gauge could be reading faulty?

It seems to be out by about 5 degrees.

Is ther a calibration setting on the EFIS?

Your best bet would be to make a SHIFT ADJUST. Go to--- Set < Hold Cal < Select OAT. Enter in a Shift Adjust until the OAT readout is where you would like it to be. Also, ensure your wiring is correct and there is no shorts.

My OAT reading disappeared. The wire is one piece from the sensor to the module. It meanders through the plane and most of it is not accessible. It is wrapped with nylon wire protector because I knew it would be inaccessible, so I don't think it is chafed. Also the wire is well secured throughout the plane. I loosened and re-tightened to wires at the module and still have no reading. What is the likelihood that the OAT sensor failed. If I have to replace it, can I splice the new one to the existing wire? I am thinking of ordering a new one and connecting it to the module. I can do a continuity check on the current wire, but I would have to cut off the current sensor to do it. I have an AF2500 in a Van's RV-7A.

The "OAT" label is present where it has always been. The numbers are gone from where they used to be. Nada. Blank.

Also, as previously stated, the plane has close to 1000 hours on it and the OAT has performed without flaw until about two flights ago. The wires are solidly attached and chafe protected for their entire length with no splices between the probe and the module.

Bad sensor or broken wire, you can splice into the existing wire.

Your first post said it was off 5 degrees, did it completely fail after you adjusted the calibration?
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

The OAT off by 5 degrees was someone else. Mine has no OAT temperature displayed at all. The "OAT" is there, but no numbers.

Troberts- Check your O.A.T wiring. Either a broken wire, shorted wire, or incorrect pin designation. Was it working at some point then just stopped working all of a sudden? A little more background information would help further troubleshoot the problem. Thanks.
    Isaac Becktold