Thread: VPX Pro Anomaly/Bug

VPX Pro Anomaly/Bug

On both my 4500s (V8.08.12-MV16 ), I'm experiencing an intermittent issue with the VPX interface software. The status buttons (all of them for each device) and the red box that highlights the current device disappears. Fortunately, the field at the top of the screen still indicates the selected device, so there is a workaround.

At first I thought it only happened after a breaker was tripped, but that isn't the case. It happens randomly whenever I bring up the checklist screen. Sometimes it works correctly and sometimes it doesn't. I haven't been able to make it fail on demand yet.
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

Email a picture of the screen and the system logs.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hickman View Post
    Email a picture of the screen and the system logs.
    Wilco.....

The wx isn't looking too good for this weekend, so it may be awhile before I can take a photo in this state. I haven't seen it while on the ground.
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying

Bob, I wonder if the problem with your VPX display could be related to the one I reported in late 2012 (AFS forum thread with link to my website w/screenshots). For me, the status indicators always disappear when I have both the course and bearing needles displayed on the PFD.

I did send in system logs and screen captures, but the current software release has the same behavior, so I'm guessing they weren't able to reproduce it to fix. Since then, I've been relying on toggling to a screen without needles (engine, 6-pack, or map) when I need to see the VPX statuses.
    --
    Joshua Wyatt
    RV-9A N627DW @ KRST - Flying
    4500sEE + 4500sMFD | Stratux Dual-Band, GTN650Xi

Quote Originally Posted by jwyatt View Post
    Bob, I wonder if the problem with your VPX display could be related to the one I reported in late 2012 (AFS forum thread with link to my website w/screenshots). For me, the status indicators always disappear when I have both the course and bearing needles displayed on the PFD.

I did send in system logs and screen captures, but the current software release has the same behavior, so I'm guessing they weren't able to reproduce it to fix. Since then, I've been relying on toggling to a screen without needles (engine, 6-pack, or map) when I need to see the VPX statuses.

I can't comment if the issues were related, since I don't have all the facts.

My issue was introduced with a particular release (I do t recall which one at the moment) and was fixed in 8.22. I haven't seen this issue since I upgraded to 8.22. I always have a screen with needles visible, so I'm doubtful they are related.

Have you talked with Rob or Ken recently? They been pretty responsive to me. I just received a copy of 8.23 to fix an ADSB issue not displaying the data tag.
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying

We thought this had been fixed? Email info@advanced-flight-systems.com and we will send you the latest software to test.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hickman View Post
    We thought this had been fixed? Email and we will send you the latest software to test.
    I installed 8.8.23 this weekend, and all is well. Thanks!
    --
    Joshua Wyatt
    RV-9A N627DW @ KRST - Flying
    4500sEE + 4500sMFD | Stratux Dual-Band, GTN650Xi

I installed 8.8.23 this weekend, and all is well. Thanks!
    I had the same display issues that Joshua showed when the screen was split with the Nav and VPX displayed. In addition to the software issue that were apparently fixed with the patch that AFS sent out, using serial port 4 for the VPX could also be a part of the problem. Apparently, port 4 performance (bandwidth) is less than the other ports. I rewired the VPX to port 3, changed the configuration, and installed the new software (9.05.05). The 4500 and VPX have performed flawless since.