Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question on leaning with my 3400 EM

A question on leaning with my 3400 EM

After reaching my cruse altitude I set my power and turn on the peak detect system on my AFS 3400 Engine monitor. As I start leaning, the EGT temps rise until they peak. As I continue to lean the EGT temps fall, and at some point (well below peak) the display shows ROP. Along with a number that represents a temperature on the rich side of peak. While continuing to lean the display changes from ROP to LOP temperatures until the engine is not happy and I need to enriched a bit.
    Hear comes the big question.

Why do I get ROP temps after the cylinders have peaked and not before?

I would think the ROP temps would show before the EGT temps reach their peak point. The only time ROP ever shows is after my EGT temps have peaked.

We have not seen this before, email pictures of the screen and the data logs .
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Please explain exactly how you get peak EGT on leaning using the 3500s
    Do you lean with peal engine detect off or on as the manual says off and I find that confusing
    Where do you see temps lean or rich of peak etc

I will try and get a video posted in the next week that shows how to do it.

1. Select ENGIEN > EGT/CHT > Pk Det

2. Lean the engine, The bottom temperature numbers are current EGT, the top numbers are the cylinder EGT temp when it peaked.

How it works....

The software is looking at each cylinders EGT temp, when it starts getting colder it assumes it has peaked. If the fuel flow was decreasing when it peaked it should be on the Lean side. If the fuel flow is increasing is should be on the rich side.
    Rob Hickman

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hickman View Post
    I will try and get a video posted in the next week that shows how to do it.

1. Select ENGIEN > EGT/CHT > Pk Det

2. Lean the engine, The bottom temperature numbers are current EGT, the top numbers are the cylinder EGT temp when it peaked.

How it works....

The software is looking at each cylinders EGT temp, when it starts getting colder it assumes it has peaked. If the fuel flow was decreasing when it peaked it should be on the Lean side. If the fuel flow is increasing is should be on the rich side.
    When is the video coming

When it stops raining....
    Rob Hickman

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hickman View Post
    When it stops raining....
    Hows the weather doing?

Has the sun come out yet?

How do the white lines work.
    Do they only appear once it has peaked and can you see what degree lean of peak you are immediately or do you have to manually subtract the two temps?

The white lines are your CHT temps because we overload the CHT digital display area with the peak EGT values. Once each cylinder has peaked it will show a number (i.e. 12L or 14R) indicating the delta from peak as well as the direction (i.e. 'R' for Rich and 'L' for Lean). You can restart the peak detection process by pressing RESTART.

Quote Originally Posted by chardks View Post
    The white lines are your CHT temps because we overload the CHT digital display area with the peak EGT values. Once each cylinder has peaked it will show a number (i.e. 12L or 14R) indicating the delta from peak as well as the direction (i.e. 'R' for Rich and 'L' for Lean). You can restart the peak detection process by pressing RESTART.
    Okay now its all making sense.
    what exactly does the number indicate?