Thread: Airspeed callouts

Airspeed callouts

I have dual 4500's. I just flew with a friend who has the MGL Odessey and it has an audio that calls out airspeed bellowed a pre-determined airspeed. Seems like a great idea for landing so you can concentrate out the window and not be looking down at the tape. Is there a way to this with the 4500?

When and how would you use it?
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Hi Rob

I would us it during landing phase. Ideally you could set an airspeed below which you get airspeed callout every few seconds. Would be nice to be able to select airspeed when audio starts (eg 90 kts), be able to select how often the audio alerts happen (eg 3-20 seconds), and of course, be able to turn the airspeed audio off and on. It would be great for testing stall speeds, would be great for approaches. What do you think? Thanks for the help, Rob.

Why are you not using AOA?
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Hi Rob

I use the AOA on all landings. I like gadgets and think it would be neat to have the airspeed callout.

Progressive audio tone instead of airspeed callout?

Rob,

Instead of airspeed callouts, how about audio output similar to Dynon? Described on VAF "Dynon has an aural warning for the AOA function that you can pipe into your audio panel. You can either have one solid tone as you reach the stall point or you can set it up to start slowly beeping as you reach the yellow zone with the beeps getting closer together until you get the solid tone for the stall point."

Regards,

Roy

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Thoma View Post
    Rob,

Instead of airspeed callouts, how about audio output similar to Dynon? Described on VAF "Dynon has an aural warning for the AOA function that you can pipe into your audio panel. You can either have one solid tone as you reach the stall point or you can set it up to start slowly beeping as you reach the yellow zone with the beeps getting closer together until you get the solid tone for the stall point."

Regards,

Roy
    There are already AOA audio outputs. I still get a chuckle when I hear them recalling when Jenny demonstrated a few of these at OSH two years ago at the RV-10 dinner.
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler