Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ADS-B Weather??

Just want to double check:

If wiring for both TIS/WX, we switch pin 25 TX for pin 5 TX on Navworx?

I'm going to use AFS serial #3 TX/RX/GND for the TIS/WX and serial #2 TX for encoder. Since AFS uses pin 21 for serial #2 & 3 gnd, is it okay to wire both pin 6 & pin 23 on the Navworx to AFS serial 2&3 gnd pin 21?

Current plan:
    ADS-B
    pin 5 TX --> AFS pin 5 (serial #3 RX) incoming traffic/WX
    pin 6,23 GND --> AFS pin 21 (serial #2 & #3 gnd)
    pin 7 RX --> AFS pin 13 (serial #2 TX - Encoder)
    pin 24 RX --> AFS pin 4 (serial #3 TX) WX request from AFS????

Thanks,
    Kevin

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by kbehrent View Post
    Just want to double check:

If wiring for both TIS/WX, we switch pin 25 TX for pin 5 TX on Navworx?

I'm going to use AFS serial #3 TX/RX/GND for the TIS/WX and serial #2 TX for encoder. Since AFS uses pin 21 for serial #2 & 3 gnd, is it okay to wire both pin 6 & pin 23 on the Navworx to AFS serial 2&3 gnd pin 21?

Current plan:
    ADS-B
    pin 5 TX --> AFS pin 5 (serial #3 RX) incoming traffic/WX
    pin 6,23 GND --> AFS pin 21 (serial #2 & #3 gnd)
    pin 7 RX --> AFS pin 13 (serial #2 TX - Encoder)
    pin 24 RX --> AFS pin 4 (serial #3 TX) WX request from AFS????

Thanks,
    Kevin

Kevin
    Hi Kevin. I now have the traffic working. Well maybe I should say that AFS has it working.
    I had to make some changes to my wiring. AFS is not accepting the Display output from NavWorx instead of the TISA. That means that I added a new wire from pin 5 to pin 5 as in your plan. I also hooked up the TISA output from NavWorx to my 496. This allowed me to watch both 496 and 3500 to check display accuracy on the AFS unit. Rob just gave me a new beta version of the software that should fix the last of the issues (missing vector lines).
    You can combine ground lines from AFS to NavWorx without problem.

At some point I will want to hook the AFS serial out to the Display in on the NavWorx as this will allow the EFIS to control function on the ADS-B. This most likely won't happen for a year or two, as FAA needs to get very thing in order.

It is very cool, the TISA only goes up to 7 mile and 7 targets (I think). With TISB (the Display port) I have counted 11 targets within 20 miles of me. Still doing more testing.

Kent

Hi Kevin,

The best method would be to utilize the Display Port on the ADS600-B as we now support it. It gives you more targets than the TIS-A output and also has the FIS-B weather data (currently working on). Looks like your wiring matches our suggestion.

ADS600-B Pin AFS Pin Function
    7 13 Alt. Encoder out to ADS600-B
    6 21 Serial Ground

24 4 Serial RX on ADS600-B
    5 5 Serial TX on ADS600-B
    23 21 Serial Ground
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems
    Support@Advanced-Flight-Systems.com

Kent is our resident beta-tester/guinea pig. His work with us on getting ADS-B traffic working correctly has been much appreciated for the benefit of everyone else out there with the ADS600-B!
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems

Trevor, Kent - Thanks for continued work and support on this!

Kent - What UAT antenna did you end up using? I currently have dipole ant for my 330 located behind the baggage compartment on my 9A. I was hoping on replacing that ant for a transponder/dme dipole type ant available from spruce and relocate the transponder dipole upfront. I really want to use a dipole for the UAT instead of a blade due to some installation issues specific to my 9A. Otherwise, I would need to locate the blade toward the tail.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Conroy View Post
    Kent is our resident beta-tester/guinea pig. His work with us on getting ADS-B traffic working correctly has been much appreciated for the benefit of everyone else out there with the ADS600-B!

Quote Originally Posted by kbehrent View Post
    Trevor, Kent - Thanks for continued work and support on this!

Kent - What UAT antenna did you end up using? I currently have dipole ant for my 330 located behind the baggage compartment on my 9A. I was hoping on replacing that ant for a transponder/dme dipole type ant available from spruce and relocate the transponder dipole upfront. I really want to use a dipole for the UAT instead of a blade due to some installation issues specific to my 9A. Otherwise, I would need to locate the blade toward the tail.
    Here is my installation.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I ordered the antenna from Bill, so as to make sure that I was getting the correct one. I think that it was about $60. The location in the picture is about 2 ft from the ends of one of my comm antennas.
    I ordered a GPS antenna off ebay for $12. I cut the 20 ft little coax off and added a firewall connector to it so that I could mount it under the cowl right next to the 430 antenna. Works nicely.

I wish the gray cable that I used had one more wire in it, as I think that I will need one more in the future. I think that down the road the EFIS will want to send control commands to the NavWorx to change settings.

Things like change the max range of targets could be nice.

Kent

Kent,

Thanks for the pic and where you got the ant. I see you mounted yours on the floor, mine is on the side using Van's accessory mount. My xpndr ant is located just about where your ADS600-B is. My issue is I have a whelen "red" strobe tube (Beacon strobe) that is located on the other side of the center rib. My xpndr dipole doesn't block the view of the beacon strobe. I was hoping to relocate the xpndr ant upfront and use this location for the UAT ant. Unfortunately, the blade style ant the Bill sells would block the view of the beacon somewhat. The UAT has to be located no less than 5' from the xpndr ant, so that forces me to put it back closer to the tail. Just a minor nuisance, but enough to pull some hair

If I understand your wiring explanation, I think you will need to add another TX line from the AFS back to the ADS600-B.

Thanks for the info,
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Conroy View Post
    Hi Kevin,

The best method would be to utilize the Display Port on the ADS600-B as we now support it. It gives you more targets than the TIS-A output and also has the FIS-B weather data (currently working on). Looks like your wiring matches our suggestion.

ADS600-B Pin AFS Pin Function
    7 13 Alt. Encoder out to ADS600-B
    6 21 Serial Ground

24 4 Serial RX on ADS600-B
    5 5 Serial TX on ADS600-B
    23 21 Serial Ground
    Trevor,
    I just printed out the new 7.1 Manual and on page 44 you document the pin-outs for the ADS600(B). Since we now are about to get WX going, what you are quoting here looks like it supersedes what is in the new manual. Should we update the new manual with this wiring chart?

Also, in the manual, it looks like your page formatting for even page numbers got messed up.
    Gary Blankenbiller
    RV-10 N2GB

Hi Gary,

We didn't mention the AFS serial ports in the manual because any of the 4 can be used. In the new manual it shows the encoder output going to the NavWorx box along with the display port TX/RX. What I quoted about and whats in the manual should be the same.

We do know about the page number issues in the manual, thanks!
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems

I have been contemplating this move and am excited about the prospects. I'm I to understand correctly that I will get the exact same weather displays on my 3500, ie, METAR's, TAF's NEXRAD, etc., that would with XM? And for free no less? Plus traffic! Is there any reason why I would want XM over ADS-B?

Thanks.