Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ADS-B Weather??

NAVWORX just announced at Oshkosh that their in/out box was FCC and FAA approved. If that is the case, weather will indeed be working and you will receive it so long as your are transmitting your position. Adding weather capability from the NAVWORX box is definitely on our list, but I don't have a timeline as to when it will be working.
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems
    Support@Advanced-Flight-Systems.com

wiring for Navworx

Any idea of how many wires will likely be needed to connect the Navworx box to the AFS EFIS or could it be ethernet? I'm trying to plan ahead and either run a bundle to the rear (navworx in back) or coax(s) to rear (navworx in front). Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Conroy View Post
    Adding weather capability from the NAVWORX box is definitely on our list, but I don't have a timeline as to when it will be working.
    This needs to be bumped way up the list. This is very important to me and would be surprised if this is not the case with most AFS users. With most of the US 'lit' up this fall it would be a great benifit to have the WX for this winters flights.
    Gary Blankenbiller
    RV-10 N2GB

+1

I'm obviously interested since I started this thread. It could come in handy during thunderstorm season as well.

It should just take 3 wires. Serial RX/TX/Ground.
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems

It should just take 3 wires. Serial RX/TX/Ground.
    I'm installing my Navworx box now and building the wire harness. As Trevor said, you'll need the three wires to one of the serial ports for the traffic and weather. If your EFIS is also serving as your altitude encoder you'll also need two additional wires (Serial TX/Ground) tapped into serial port #2 that's outputing altitude info to your transponder.

If you contact Bill at Navworx he can email you the user/install manual that has the wiring diagrams. Here's a couple of things I noticed.

1. The Navworx diagram only shows two wires to the AFS for the traffic (RX/Ground). but we'll need a third wire for TX for when AFS updates their software to include the weather. I'm assuming both weather and traffic will use the same serial port on the AFS, but the Navworx diagram doesn't show what pin the third wire goes to on that end. I'm going to email Bill to find out what pin to go to for the third wire and will post it here when I hear back.

2. The Navworx diagram shows the wires for the traffic going to AFS serial port #2, but footnotes you can use any of the serial ports. As #2 is the only one we can use for altitude encoding, you need to use a different serial port for traffic and weather.

3. The Navworx manual shows all the serial lines using shielded wires although I'm not sure why it's needed for these serial connections.

Mike

I just wired my navworx yesterday. ADS-B behind the baggage compartment.
    Here is the wiring that I used, but haven't tested yet.

ADS-B pin
    7 AFS ser #2 TX pin 13
    6 AFS ser GND pin 2
    25 AFS ser #2 RX pin 25
    4 PC RX DB9 pin 3
    22 PC TX DB9 pin 2
    3 PC GND DB9 pin 5
    18,19 3 AMP fused power
    36,37 Avionics GND
    14 Fault out

The last one is if you want to hook up a light for status.
    I used a single shielded cable with 10 wires in it. I also run a RG400 coax cable from my GPS antenna under the cowl. The UAT antenna is mounted at the aft end of the same compartment. NavWorx ships the unit with two coax cable, but the cable is not long enough to reach all the way that I wanted to go, so I am attaching my own connectors to the longer cable that I ran a couple months ago.

Kent

Heard back from Bill at Navworx on pre-wiring for weather - here's the info:

Today (traffic only) you connect AFS (any serial port) up to the dedicated TIS port (pin 25 TX, pin 6 ground) on the Navworx end. I'd recommend including an extra wire in your run for the weather later.

Once weather is available you swap the pins to the Navworx RS232 port for the combined weather/traffic interface (pin 5 TX, pin 24 RX, pin 23 ground).

You'll also need to change the configuration of the Navworx box using their maintenance port connector to your computer.

The display command for TIS (weather only) is:
    SET PROTOCOL TISA

The display command for RS232 (weather and traffic) is:
    SET PROTOCOL TA
    MAP TA RS232
    SET BAUD RS232 115200

Other Navworx connections:
    You need to connect the Navworx (pin 7 RX, pin 6 ground) to your altitude encoder - likely AFS serial port #2 for most of us. There's also the maintenance port with a DB-9 at the end to connect to your computer for updating the configuration, plus a couple power and ground connections. And finally there's a GPS and a UAT antenna that has coax runs to the Navwork transceiver.

Mike

NAVWORX just announced at Oshkosh that their in/out box was FCC and FAA approved. If that is the case, weather will indeed be working and you will receive it so long as your are transmitting your position. Adding weather capability from the NAVWORX box is definitely on our list, but I don't have a timeline as to when it will be working.
    Time for my quarterly bump of this thread.

Now that the FAA has announced that most of the ADS-B network should be installed by 2013, has any priority been assigned to getting weather capability from NAVWORX?

Yes we have moved it to the top of our list. One of our software engineers is working on traffic right now and will soon move on to weather. We have traffic working through the display port of the ADS600(-B) and through the TIS port. Weather is soon to follow.
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems