Thread: ipad use

ipad use

My apologies if this has been discussed before. I will need an IFR check ride within the next six months and it would be nice to do it in the rocket. The only problem is that I have no back seat instruments. Would it be possible to export the 4500 screen information to an ipad in real time?

Thanks

Not in 6 months, we can sell you a screen for the back seat.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Rob
    That sounds interesting but is there any way that an iPad could be used to display the information? I am certainly open to paying for a means of transferring the information to the ipad.

I'm currently working on an ipad app that will use ethernet and serial to wifi to export data to the ipad. You can also check out ilevil which will give you a secondary AHRS that displays on the ipad. My app will integrate with the ilevil and at the very least whatever serial data is available from the AFS, but hopefully I will be able to integrate it with the data available on the ethernet port as well. Time frame is definitely less than 6 months.

Brian
    Thank you, that sounds interesting. For a check ride I really need the back seat pilot to "see" what is on my effis. To make sure that I am following the headings, course, frequencies for the approaches in place, etc. I can see many benefits to this type of an app aside from my check ride. It is possible that this information would show on the ipad if the main screen itself were to go blank but all other systems were still working. The addition of a ilevil would give me the backup horizon that I need. Currently I have a Gemini and with my eyes, and the location I was forced to use on the panel makes it less then desirable as a back up incase my main unit goes out.
    While the ipad is not the perfect screen it is already in the airplane and would actually be able to be mounted on the back of the front seat. There are very few other options for the back seat of my rocket, or for most other tandem aircraft. Please keep me posted here and if you do not mind by email fairlea@xplornet.ca

brian,
    see my PM.
    alan

I'm not sure I would rely on the ilevil as a backup in IFR. The ipad can be flaky sometimes and I wouldn't trust it with my life. I intend my app to be a supplement to existing EFIS systems, not a replacement.