Thread: Aoa

Aoa

Is there something additional that AFS provides over Dynon's AOA display? I ask because I also have a D6 with the Dynon AOA pitot tube and that functionality comes standard with no additional cost on the Dynon. I'd like to have it hooked up to my AFS screen as well, but I can't really justify the cost unless there is some real benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by brianjohnson View Post
    Is there something additional that AFS provides over Dynon's AOA display? I ask because I also have a D6 with the Dynon AOA pitot tube and that functionality comes standard with no additional cost on the Dynon. I'd like to have it hooked up to my AFS screen as well, but I can't really justify the cost unless there is some real benefit.
    Where will your eyes be focused if you are flying in IMC on the approach? My would think at the primary EFIS and not the secondary. If you are VFR, it probably isn't a big deal. This is all regardless of if there are any technical differences.
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

I just can't really bring myself to pay for a feature that is free on the D6 unless there is some technical difference. Maybe the AFS version is much better for some reason, I don't know.

The AFS AOA has a better Algorithm in the EFIS. The Dynon does not modify the settings for flaps and does not show you best approach and best glide. If you are currently using the D10 AOA for flying approaches and it works for you don't bother adding it to the EFIS.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

To be honest I never thought about using it on approach. I like it because I don't have a stall horn, but I don't currently have a flap sensor so maybe I'll get it if I ever get around to adding one.