Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New software update coming

Quote Originally Posted by stickandrudderman View Post
    Schmoboy, I hope you had more than the 10 hours with your 4500 that I did before I found out that the unit was going to be playing 2nd fiddle to it's replacement.
    In any case, it's not the 4500 I have an issue with, it is a lack of information and broken promises. If those promises were not made, I would have no legitimate complaint.
    Rob has, at last, given us some information as to what the delay is so for the moment I will go back to sleep, but I'm sorry to inform you that I will at some time wake up again and will expect to have the undertakings promised fulfilled or at least a full and frank explanation as to why they will not. As a customer it's not much to ask is it?
    Colin,

Software can take a lot longer than we think, this is not unique to us. To be fair your AF-4500 was shipped in November of 2010 and the first AF-5000 units did not ship until over a full year later.

Which of these items is causing all your stress?

These are the things we are working on:

1. Software to control the AF-Pilot from the EFIS screen with AP Engage and AP Disengage audio alerts.
    2. AP/FD mode display similar to the AF-5000
    3. Change FLARM interface from Garmin TIS to dedicated FLARM format.
    4. Better handling for non unique Map identifiers
    5. Larger Vertical speed tape
    6. Updated ADS-B interface
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Rob,

Could you also add the fix for the timer expiration audio alert which has been previously committed to be fixed (http://www.advanced-flight-systems.c...ighlight=Timer).

For what it's worth, I share a bit of Colin's frustration. I think the AFS kit is fantastic. However, when I purchased my 4500s the 5000s had been announced but were not available. I purchased them through Aerotronics and Gary convinced me that it was worth going with the 4500s because 1) you would continue to provide support and upgrades and 2) there would also be an easy upgrade path should I wish to do so at a later date.

I do appreciate that you continue to support and upgrade the 4500s but have a bit of concern that they may be "abandoned" (I believe it has been over a year since an upgrade has been issued). In addition, it remains a bit unclear what, if any upgrade path is available to move to the 5000 series. Dynon has been great in continuing to support the older D180 issuing regular updates and they also provided a great upgrade path to the Skyview for customers like me that were caught in the transition period.

Cheers.

Rob,
    Since you're taking the time to respond then my irritation is considerably reduced already, which is exactly my point. I know nothing about software design and I'm sure it's not easy, but I do know that customer's don't like to be ignored or be subjected to broken promises. You only have to read over this thread to see where the problem lies.
    I did indeed receive my 4500 one year before the 5000 came out, but I did not actually start to fly with it until long after I bought it. The fact that it was quickly superseded is a fact of life in a fast moving technological world and I can cope with that, but the reality is that with the inability to handle non-unique identifiers, something which as far as I am aware no other product suffers from, I am entirely reliant on my ipad for flight planning. That's not really what I had in mind when I bought the AFS kit.
    Other's have REQUESTED improvements, and you have proffered a list of those improvements that you and your team will undertake and given a timescale. That timescale has long been exceeded and until now no explanation has been given.
    I'm actually a very positive kind of guy but when my touch paper is lit I usually have a perfectly legitimate reason.
    I sincerely hope that those of us who are waiting for that which we have been promised will be rewarded soon so that we can all get back to being positive advocates for AFS.
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by darnold View Post
    Rob,

Could you also add the fix for the timer expiration audio alert which has been previously committed to be fixed (http://www.advanced-flight-systems.c...ighlight=Timer).

For what it's worth, I share a bit of Colin's frustration. I think the AFS kit is fantastic. However, when I purchased my 4500s the 5000s had been announced but were not available. I purchased them through Aerotronics and Gary convinced me that it was worth going with the 4500s because 1) you would continue to provide support and upgrades and 2) there would also be an easy upgrade path should I wish to do so at a later date.

I do appreciate that you continue to support and upgrade the 4500s but have a bit of concern that they may be "abandoned" (I believe it has been over a year since an upgrade has been issued). In addition, it remains a bit unclear what, if any upgrade path is available to move to the 5000 series. Dynon has been great in continuing to support the older D180 issuing regular updates and they also provided a great upgrade path to the Skyview for customers like me that were caught in the transition period.

Cheers.
    The Timer audio is also on the list.

We do continue to service and support all of our products. The AF-4500 just does not have the CPU power to do all of the new features that we are developing for the AF-5000. We have had an upgrade program for the AF-3500 and AF-4500 to a AF-5400 system with all the AF-5000 features and support. We have done a number of them.

http://www.advanced-flight-systems.c...%20Program.pdf

I am not sure what you mean about Dynon upgrading the D-180? They have very similar issues, a number of people would like to connect the Mode S transponder to it and they have said they are not going to do it.

The non unique identifier problem is not easy to solve and we are working on a solution. I find it amazing that they even allow navigation identifiers to have the same name, but then again you also drive on the wrong side of the road
    Rob Hickman

As an ex racing driver, who knows what side of the road I'll be on at any given time?

Do NASCAR drivers in the UK make all right turns??

Seriously, I can't complain about the support I've gotten from the folks at Advanced. And I can't think of anything that Rob has promised that hasn't eventually been delivered.

Wots Nascar?

Pete

Gentlemen.

How is that software update going for our 4500 screens?

kevin

Ken sent out a beta version on Friday for customer testing with the following:

1. AF-Pilot RS-232 interface and new AP icons and menu
    2. Updated ADS-B software
    3. Larger vertical speed tape.
    Rob Hickman

When does it go "Live"?
    What's the version Number?
    Always interested in the latest and greatest from you guys!