Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New software update coming

Ditto. plus characters to increase character count.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Servus Christian
    Do you know anything more than we do regarding publishing date? I am getting a bit frustrated that the deadlines and content isn't kept. Not that it is critical but since the 5000 series is out I don't feel like a valued customer anymore.
    Regards
    Michael
    Frustrated as well, but to be fair, Rob did not say what year in his post. I was looking at doing the swap to the 5400, but concerned the support for that box will go the same way as the 4500, and I am out more $$$. More communication would be better on this than less. Provide status updates, what will be included, what testing still needs to be done. Then we would not feel like the red headed step children.

This thread has had over two thousand views.

Servus Christian
    Do you know anything more than we do regarding publishing date? I am getting a bit frustrated that the deadlines and content isn't kept. Not that it is critical but since the 5000 series is out I don't feel like a valued customer anymore.
    Regards
    Michael
    Don't have a date, but it's coming soon...
    Just wondering why you get so upset. The actual 4500 software works stable and updates are free of charge.
    Christian
    Lancair 390 OE-CCM
    AFS 4500EEA - AFS Pilot
    Austria / Europe
    www.lancair.at

Servus Christian
    Regards
    Michael
    Software always takes a lot longer than anyone thinks it will. We have been extremely busy trying to get the software finished in the AF-5000 to support all the Dynon modules and it is taking longer than we expected. I have flown more hours using the AF-4500 than anyone in the world, I even did all my instrument training and passed the IFR check ride using them without any problems.

This is what we said we would do:

1. Software to control the AF-Pilot from the EFIS screen with AP Engage and AP Disengage audio alerts.
    2. AP/FD mode display similar to the AF-5000

Michael since you are the most vocal of the three people complaining and in Europe I am putting you in charge of getting us a FLARM unit to test with, please let me know when it is available.
    3. Change FLARM interface from Garmin TIS to dedicated FLARM format.

4. Better handling for non unique Map identifiers
    5. Larger Vertical speed tape
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

So couple things that cause frustration: 1. Web site shows software updated as of 4/4/14, it is not. 2. A commitment date of "before Aero" was given, yet no info/communication stating it would be delayed.....only after a couple of us said we were frustrated did we get a response. I personally sent an email asking about the 4/4/14 update, no response.

You're right, the 4500s are great to fly with, we are just excited to keep up with the pack as to features etc. Just a little more communication with the customers of the 4500s would help reduce the frustration. Remember 4500 customers at some point may become 5000 customers, or they may become Garmin customers, etc. Good business to keep the client happy or at least informed. Take it for what it is worth. I have been there when customers are not happy, it is easy to blame them, but not the best idea for business.

Thank you for your answer Rob!

Just to be clear, I consider my AF-4500 a great system and love to fly with the EFIS an EM, that's the reason I bought the AF-3500 EFIS & EM and upgraded later to AF-4500 deck EFIS & EM as well as upgrading the to the AFS AP. And am still considering further upgrades.
    I get vocal is because I care about AFS and the products!
    Every time people look at my plane and panel I give them a tour about the systems.

Communication is key and with all the presence of AFS in the web be it as website or FB it should be easy to let customers know about delays issues and great new features, I even subscribed to AFS so a newsletter would be an option as well.
    I guess everybody understands the difficulty about software development, especially in todays environment were budgets and resources are tight in a lot of industries. So its positive to keep customers in the loop.

Rob in case you meant by "putting me in charge" to help you test the the FLARM interface I am happy to be a beta- tester for the software with my TRX-1500A just PM me.

Kind Regards
    Michael

Hi Rob,

I see this discussion is becoming somewhat heated. It would seem that your resources are somewhat stretched at this point in time considering all the new developments and you are not meeting the deadlines that you have set and this seems to be upsetting the apple cart.

My project is still far from being airworthy so I am willing to send you my Power FLARM core. I could get it to you by the end of April or early May. You can send it to an address in Washington once you are done with it. There is no hurry on my part. Let me know if you are interested and I'll phone you to co-ordinate the details.

I think that the support AFS has provided has been exemplary up to now and I'm sure you've just got too much on your plate right now to keep us all satisfied. I do believe that even your most vociferous critics have faith in you so keep up the good work.

As a business owner myself I am all too aware that there's nothing worse than a broken promise to a customer. Like the others, I am a fan of AFS, I just don't like being ignored.
    A simple, "Dear valued customer, we know that you're waiting and we are doing our very best to provide with the level of service that you expect and that we aspire to. Unfortunately, we have become a victim of our own success and our limited resources are being stretched beyond what we were expecting. Consequently and regrettably, there will be some delays. Rest assured that we are on the case and will let you know as soon as we can when there's progress."
    Something along those lines would likely mean that I never post here regarding frustrations, only technical incompetence on my part, which is highly likely.

Quote Originally Posted by rleffler View Post
    The release notes only shows the following upate:

Fixed problem with fuel computer Liters Rem At display.

I was curious as to the status of the items on StickandRudder's wish list that you previously mentioned were targeted in the April release.

bob

As I stated, I was curious to the status as well as several others. I don't think any of us were bashing AFS or the 4500. If it came off as that, it wasn't the intent. I think we all think highly of both AFS, the 4500, and your team's support of the product. We do understand the life cycle issues and priorities. Yes, we may get a little cranky when dates slip, but that's just human nature. I think all it takes is more transparency when schedules slip before the previously communicated date slips. We may not like the news, but we'll understand. In the mean time, we'll continue to enjoy flying behind some of the best glass in the market!

bob
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler