Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Af-5400t

Thanks for the quick response.

I guess I didn't find the right term about what I called soft keys. What I meant were the touch screen fields (buttons?) along the right hand side of the 5400t in the photograph - are they customisable/user defined?

Do you know if the Dynon European base map has cities, rivers and roads?

That picture was taken running AF-5500 software, the production release will not need them. Not sure on the rivers and roads for Europe.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Rob-

I heard the 5400T is not compatible with the 4500 ADHRS. What is the cost of the new ADHRS?

i though the adhrs came with it???
    Alan

Name:  AF-5400T Upgrade.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  19.6 KB

The old Crossbow AHRS will not fit in the AF-5400T screen. The AF-5400T can use an existing Crossbow AHRS if it is mounted in a remote screen.
    Rob Hickman

Rob, this extra cost is for an 'internal' AHRS for the 5400T, correct? If it is remote, do you have any details on the size and weight? Additionally, can you confirm that the 5400T will work with my existing magnetometers?

All of the AF-5000 systems use a remote AHRS/Magnetometer unit, it is the same size and mounting as the old Magnetometer.
    Rob Hickman

Wish list.

Is there a link to somewhere that explains the virtues of this upgrade? If there is I have been unable to find it.

There also doesn't appear to be anywhere where wish lists are compiled into a single list, just lots of different posts across different threads over large timescales. With a single list one could visit that list, see if the question has been asked before and hopefully see an answer too.
    Some of these questions have already been asked but not satisfactorily answered.
    It would be useful if others could add their questions to the list and then the list compiled into one. Whilst it might appear to be onerous for the administrators at first, I believe it will be to everyone's benefit in the long run.

Here's what the 4500 hasn't got that I would like: (I realise that some of it is not down to AFS but I want a single list).

Install flight plans from SD card or USB stick without having to import from other devices (in the cases where other devices are not present.)

Use European sectionals for VFR (roads, railways, places etc.)

The ability to select waypoints from a list when there are common (non-unique) identifiers. (Very common in Europe)

User waypoints.

Airspace warnings. (A legend of airspace depictions would also be nice, if only in the manual.)

Traffic (in Europe). (Powerflarm seems the only option.)

Weather. (yes I know it's practically impossible for GA in Europe but this is a list of things that I'd like....)

Options for flap position graphics.

Audible gear position warning according to configuration.

Audible speed limitations for flaps & gear.

Where two 4500s are fitted, will both need to be upgraded or would one 4500em and one 5400t work?

Customiseable operating limits. (for hot & high departures etc).

Are we flogging a dead horse in trying to improve the 4500 series?

Will I need any other hardware to install a 5400t in place of a 4500?
    Last edited by stickandrudderman; 11-17-2013 at 03:47 AM.

Hi Stickandrudderman.

If you go back a page you will realise that the drop-in upgrade with touch screen is going to set you back $4200 (unit plus external AHRS). I think you will be disappointed as most the features you are asking for are not yet available for the European environment in the 5000 series and I'm not sure if and when they will be.

I looked at the touch screen AF5000 series at the Aero in Friedrichshafen this year and was quite impressed at how user friendly and intuitive it is to operate. I'm personally not really a big fan of a touch screen in an aircraft in turbulence and I was not too impressed with the reflection in the demo video Rob has on the sight but that's a matter of preference.

I got the FLARM CEO to go to the AFS at the AERO booth to see Rob but I don't know if this meeting was followed up with any action. Maybe Rob can comment on that.

Theoretically I'm sure it is possible to display European/UK sectionals on the 5000 series but it would entail negotiation and resources to do so and I'm not sure if the size of our market justifies the effort.

We have to realise that the 4500 series hails from the era of Windows XP and 32bit processors. I think it's a great device and the software mutations it's gone through since its inception have been enormous.

If I understand correctly, you're looking for a device that does everything - an EFIS and navigator all in one. While the 5000 series does offer that (and the 4500 in a certain manner), it is not as user friendly as a purpose built navigator. Both devices are most sensibly used hooked up to an external navigator.

I'm using an AvMap EKP V external navigation device hooked up to my AFS 4500. The AvMap runs European and UK sectionals as well as a very nice base map with airspace boundaries etc. It comes with a very neat panel dock that makes it look like it is permanently installed. It is essentially a hand-held so you can remove it to put in your flight plan and your AF 4500 hooked up to the AF pilot will fly it. There are no cables to fiddle with when you put it into the panel mount as the contacts on the device mate with those on the panel dock. It will interface with power FLARM and they offer geo-referenced traffic patterns for numerous countries and a host of other features such as the ability to hook it up to an external AHRS and air data module and use it as a (back up) EFIS. I'm sure there are other devices out there that offer similar features that will team up very nicely with your AF 4500.

Why don't you open a new thread with desirable features for the AF 4500 and we can all contribute. All I'm looking for with my present set up is an audible autopilot disconnect warning. And yes, it would also be nice if it could use the raw Power FLARM information instead of having to use Garmin traffic format.

Mounz, a very thoughtful and informative response, thanks very much.
    Stick.