Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: auto-crs for localizer

auto-crs for localizer

Is there a way to get the EFIS to do auto-crs for an ISL/Localizer approach?

i asked rob about this before. it's an extra step and if you don't set the course potentially disastrous.
    alan

well, disastrous might be a bit of an exaggeration, setting the course is pretty much SOP for most standalone HSIs that I have used, but it's a nice feature that is present on some systems like the G1000. I don't have a chart subscription, but I believe it will auto-select the correct chart if you do, so I'm assuming the EFIS receives information about the specific approach from the GPS. Given that, it seems reasonable that the EFIS should be able to select the correct LOC course. What was Rob's response?

Ok, I found the discussion and see why it was such a big problem. http://www.advanced-flight-systems.c...-courses/page2
    Was there a resolution to this?

no
    i could not duplicate the problem.
    other planes i have flown when you put in the ils frequency the course needle was automatic(g1000, kns80)
    the afs ap does a much better job flying a gps LPV than an ILS.

alan

Yea, I've never experienced an autopilot issue, it's just nice to have it automatically align the needle with the LOC course

So, I am planning to attempt to fly a fully automated ILS this weekend (to test that everything is working) using my GTN650 and the AF4500 (along with the AFS Autopilot). What is not clear to me is how to set the localiser course (OBS) when flying a GPS route.

More specifically, is the LOC course automatically loaded from the GTN650 so that when the GTN650 transitions from GPS to VLOC (and thus the EFIS transitions from GPS to VOR) is everything corrrect (i.e., the correct ILS CRS/OBS is set). If I need to "manually" set the CRS/OBS to the correct ILS heading how do I do this? What I mean by this is, if I am flying a GPS course do I need to temporarily switch-over from GPS to VOR/ILS on the EFIS so that I can set the CRS (OBS)? If so, this seems like an odd thing to have to do.

The LOC course is not sent from the GTN650 to the EFIS. If you are flying a complete GPS approach that terminates with an ILS from the GTN650 the EFIS will set the inbound CRS to the last GPS course in the flight plan. As soon as the CDI switches to NAV I check and set the OBS for the inbound course.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hickman View Post
    The LOC course is not sent from the GTN650 to the EFIS. If you are flying a complete GPS approach that terminates with an ILS from the GTN650 the EFIS will set the inbound CRS to the last GPS course in the flight plan. As soon as the CDI switches to NAV I check and set the OBS for the inbound course.
    Does this hold true as well for the 430W?

Thanks,

Steve

steve,
    yes as soon as the 430w switches yo bloc you must set the ils course. it is not automatic.
    alan