Thread: GNS 480 and AFS 5000

GNS 480 and AFS 5000

Hello,
    I recently purchased and experimental aircraft an plan to redo the panel. I'd like to use the AFS 5600 with a GNS 480. Have you dealt with this unit before? I understand the 480 won't output the GPS signal. I assume I'd have to install the AFS gps for the SV and flight plan.
    The aircraft is equipped with a TruTrak DFC 250. Can this autopilot be integrated to work with the AFS unit?
    Thanks,
    Eric

Our systems will work with a GNS-480, we have a number of people using them and we actually use a GNS480 at the office for software testing. The GNS-480 is no longer being manufucatured, if you dont already own it I would not upgrade to it.

If the DFC-250 AP has GPS Steering (VSGV) it should work, call Lucas at TruTrak to make to check it.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Thanks for the info. I have 480's installed in other aircraft and like it much better than the 430. Beyond potential lack of support from Garmin is there any other reason you wouldn't recommend?

Nope, that is the reason. I do really like my new GTN650.
    Rob Hickman

Yes, the 650/750s look nice! but a little pricey. My local avionics shop tech went to a Garmin seminar and asked why the 650 was not a direct replacement for the 430 and they said the 650/750 is based off the 480 and the connector/architecture is similar to 480. Apollo made a good box. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by skybound38 View Post
    Yes, the 650/750s look nice! but a little pricey. My local avionics shop tech went to a Garmin seminar and asked why the 650 was not a direct replacement for the 430 and they said the 650/750 is based off the 480 and the connector/architecture is similar to 480. Apollo made a good box. Thanks!
    There is only one reason it is not a direct replacement....... Dealer install $$$$
    Rob Hickman

Rob, can you outline the configuration of the 480 you have in the office? I have:

AFS5600 + AF-ARINC
    GNS480
    GMX200
    GTX33
    SL30

and I'm trying to figure out if they can all be hooked up or not. Right now, The 5600 and the 480 are working as far as getting GPS for the moving map, but that's it.

...forgot to add, I have a AF-Pilot too!

I believe that we sent the configuration to Mountain Air on Friday?

it should be the same as your old AF-4500, why are they rewiring it?

serial port
    1. 480
    2. GTX33 altitude
    3. SL30
    4. ARINC
    Rob Hickman