Thread: GPS18x-5Hz pin out

GPS18x-5Hz pin out

I currently have an AF3400EE non-S, which has the Dsub-9 transmitting engine data to my Cheltons via pin 1 for TX and pin 2 for ground.

I recently purchased from you a GPS18x-5Hz. I want to shorten the gps cable, and combine its pins with what I have already. Gps pin 1 is already populated by a green conductor, and pin 5 appears to by the gps ground.

Is there a way to make all of this work together?

Also, will the Navworx adsb work with my AF3400? Thanks.

Jim Berry
    RV-10

You can't use the same serial port to send Chelton data and receive NMEA GPS Data. You need to have the Chelton on a separate serial port from the NMEA GPS.

The old non S AF-3400 will not work with ADS-B.

You should consider trading the Chelton and AF-3400 for our new AF-5000 EFIS system.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hickman View Post
    You can't use the same serial port to send Chelton data and receive NMEA GPS Data. You need to have the Chelton on a separate serial port from the NMEA GPS.

The old non S AF-3400 will not work with ADS-B.

You should consider trading the Chelton and AF-3400 for our new AF-5000 EFIS system.
    Rob,

I understand I can't send and receive 2 data streams on the same port, but I have never found the pin assignments for the 3400 dsub-9 connector. Let me rephrase my question:

Is there a pin combination that will input the gps signal, and also send engine data to the Chelton?

Jim

There is not a serial port software setting for NMEA GPS in and Chelton Engine data out. There is a setting for Aviation GPS in and Chelton out.

From Appendix C in the manual:
    Name:  AF-4500 Connections.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  16.8 KB
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.