Thread: Sensors for AF2500 vs 3500EE

Sensors for AF2500 vs 3500EE

I plan to update my RV-7 panel in the near future to 3500's. I currently have an AF2500. Will I need any additional or different sensors for the engine monitoring function?

Terry, I am working with AFS on doing just that. I should receive my new unit next week. I'll be able to tell you more after that, but I think that I remember that the probes that are added to my package are fuel and oil pressure and temp sensors. I think the rest will work fine.
    All the wires that go into the gold box will need to have connectors crimped onto them to connect into the 3500 engine monitor harness.
    When you order they will know what you need.

Kent

Thanks Kent. Terry

Hi Terry,

A little more information for you.
    The sensor that I am replacing (you'll need to order) are the fuel pressure, oil pressure and oil temp.
    I also ordered the the three wiring harnesses. After removing the shrink tubing for one of the CHT probes, I decided that it would be easier to build the probe harness out of my existing wires.
    The problem is that after almost 4 years of flying the shrink tube has fused into a solid block of plastic and it takes a long time to carefully trim away the plastic. If you have enough length in your existing probe wires than hooking the ends to a D-25 connector will be easier that using AFS harness.
    The other two harness (other instruments and communication) will be evaluated which way will be easier.

Kent

Thnaks for keeping me posted Kent. Terry

Terry, I decided to return the other two harnesses. It just looks easier to build the 3500 end of the harness then to splice. Most of my wires are already long enough. The probes that I replaced only need a single unshilded wire, so I just reused the wires for the old sensor.

Kent