Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AF-5200 as a second screen -- serial ports?

AF-5200 as a second screen -- serial ports?

There is not very much info on the AF-5200 screens yet, though I understand it was announced at SnF. I'm in queue for the AF-5600, though waiting details on the touchscreen version as well.

Anyway, the purpose of the AF-5200 was really to act as an MFD and the smaller form factor was perfect for the space I have available on my panel -- on top of a radio stack.

Rob,
    I'm curious if the AF-5200 has a set of serial ports as well as the other 5xxx series displays do so that I'm not limited to just the 4 serial ports on the main AF-5600 screen?

PFD:
    S#1 AVTN/ARNAV Garmin 430W GPS RS-232 Port
    S#2 TRIG XPDR AFS Trans (SV-261)
    S#3 SL30-40 GNC255A NAV/COM
    S#4 ARINC AF-ARINC Module > 430W >

How does one connect:
    AF Pilot - Autopilot
    AFS-GPS
    Weather: Freeflight ADS-B

etc...

The AF-5200 has the same serial ports and connectors as all the AF-5000 systems
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hickman View Post
    The AF-5200 has the same serial ports and connectors as all the AF-5000 systems

Okay...

Thanks, does this look right?

Screen 1 (430W, AFS Trans, GNC255)
    S#1 AVTN/ARNAV 430W GPS RS-232 Port
    S#2 TRIG XPDR AFS Trans (SV-261)
    S#3 SL30-40 GNC255 NAV/COM
    S#4 ARINC AF-ARINC Module > 430W
    GPSNAV1 S#4 GNAV1 GNAV>430W
    GPSNAV2 S#3 NAV2 GNC255
    GPSNAV3 REMOTE GPS GPS2 > AFS-GPS

Screen 2 (AFS-GPS, AFS PILOT, ADS-B)
    S#1 NMEA/AVTN AFS-GPS
    S#2 AF-PILOT RS-232
    S#3 ADS-B? RS-232
    S#4 open
    GPSNAV1 REMOTE ARINC GNAV1 GNAV>430W
    GPSNAV2 REMOTE NAV NAV2 GNC255
    GPSNAV3 S#1 GPS2 AFS-GPS

Can I also choose to put the AFS-GPS on the ARINC module? What are the benefits? And then configure on the second screen as:
    S#1 AVTN/ARNAV 430W GPS RS-232 Port
    S#4 ARINC AF-ARINC Module > AF-GPS

Lastly, how do you wire to set up the AFS Pilot to switch between the AFS-GPS OR the 430W?

1. The Autopilot must be on the PFD screen
    2. Most people wire the AF-GPS to serial port #4 since the GPS power is on the same plug.
    3. Why do you have both NAV sources (430W & SL30) on the same screen? If you lose the PFD you will lose both NAV units.

PFD

S1 430W
    S2 Transponder
    S3 AF-Pilot
    S4 Arinc

MFD

S1 ADSB
    S2
    S3 SL30
    S4 AF-GPS
    Rob Hickman

How does one select AP to fly GPS source from either the 430W or the AF-GPS in this configuration?

Thanks Rob.

1. The Autopilot must be on the PFD.
    Rob,

Help me understand this statement better. I don't recall seeing this in the installation manual. I thought the restrictions for certain devices to be on specific ports went away a couple years ago.

Is there a concern about latency if the ARNIC is on the MFD?

Thanks,

Bob
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

Quote Originally Posted by ssonixx View Post
    How does one select AP to fly GPS source from either the 430W or the AF-GPS in this configuration?

Thanks Rob.
    The Autopilot follows the active EFIS CDI Nav source in Nav mode. The AF-GPS does not provide a flight plan so it really does not follow it. The real option is 430W flight plan or internal flight plan. The internal flight plan will use the 430W GPS or AF-GPS for GPS location.
    Rob Hickman

Quote Originally Posted by rleffler View Post
    Rob,

Help me understand this statement better. I don't recall seeing this in the installation manual. I thought the restrictions for certain devices to be on specific ports went away a couple years ago.

Is there a concern about latency if the ARNIC is on the MFD?

Thanks,

Bob
    It has nothing to do with latency. When we added the ability to engage and disengage the autopilot from the EFIS we designed the software to only allow the EFIS screen that is wired to the AP to have the control. This is a safety feature that keeps passengers from accidently turning on or off the AP. Currently this feature only works in the AF-5000 systems, it will be added to the AF-4500 in the near future.

From the AF-5000 Manual

EFIS Serial Port Connections

Each EFIS screen has four serial ports that can be used for external equipment (GPS, NAV, Traffic, FADEC Engine, ect..) communication. If you have more than one screen installed in your aircraft and they are connected with Ethernet you can share the serial ports between screens. For the serial ports and navigation sources (GPS, NAV) to work properly you will need to configure the actual serial port number hardware settings as well as assign an EFIS navigation source to a serial port number.

The following steps should be followed:
    Serial Port Planning

The EFIS screen that is directly in front of the pilot shall be the Primary Flight Display (PFD). The PFD should have the following:
    • IP Address 175
    • AF-ARINC Module should be wired to the PFD serial port (#1, #2, #3, or #4)
    • The ARINC and RS-232 serial ports from a GPS Navigator (430W, GTN650,…) must be wired to the same screen.
    • The AF-Pilot RS-232 Serial port should be wired to the PFD serial port (#1, #2, #3, or #4)
    • In a two screen installation two GPS units should not be wired to the same screen.
    • In a two screen installation two NAV (VOR/ILS) radios should not be wired to the same screen.
    Rob Hickman

The Autopilot follows the active EFIS CDI Nav source in Nav mode. The AF-GPS does not provide a flight plan so it really does not follow it. The real option is 430W flight plan or internal flight plan. The internal flight plan will use the 430W GPS or AF-GPS for GPS location.
    didn't ask that question well. I guess I should have asked, how do you switch from one GPS to the other when planning to fly the internal flight plan? I had read some posts on other forums, even this one, saying that some folks were using a switch installed to force it.

The map source will switch it. A switch will not do it.
    Rob Hickman