Thread: GPS Questions

GPS Questions

I finally was able to power up the entire panel last evening and pulled the RV-10 out of the hanger to test both the GTN650 and the AFS GPS. I have a pair of 4500s and a 3400sMFD. I also have Gemini PFD installed. I configured all the EFIS and GTN650 ports appropriately.

EFIS #1
    GNAV1=Remote ARINC
    GNAV2=Serial Port #4
    Serial Port#4= AFS GPS
    Serial Port#1=ATVN/ARNAV (GTN650 Serial)

EFIS#2
    GNAV1=Serial Port #4
    GNAV2=Remote GPS
    Serial Port#4= ARINC

EFIS#3
    GNAV1=Remote ARINC
    GNAV2=Remote GPS

Gemini PFD has the same serial feed from the GTN650 as Serial Port#1 on EFIS#1 and EFIS#2.

Question#1: Should the GTN650 serial inputs be defined at GNAV device? I'm assuming they should be defined, but I haven't configured that as of yet.

Question#2: The GTN650 is showing a track of 271. SRC on EFIS#1-#3 is set to GNAV1. Heading on EFIS#1 is 285, EFIS#2 is 276, EFIS#3 is 276, and the Gemini is 276. Since the aircraft is stationary, I would assume that heading and track should be identical. I don't understand why all displays aren't showing a heading of 271. Additionally, why are the all showing 276, with the exception of EFIS #1. I'm assuming that either I'm not understanding something correctly, or perhaps I haven't configured something properly.

Question#3: I seem to recall from a previous post that the AFS GPS came pre-configured. Is my recollection correct? I'm getting a GPS Integrety error. Is the best way to troubleshoot to hook up to a PC and validate the settings?
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

EFIS #1
    GNAV1=Remote ARINC
    GNAV2=Serial Port #4
    GNAV3=Serial Port #1
    Serial Port#4= AFS GPS

EFIS#2
    GNAV1=Serial Port #4
    GNAV2=Remote GPS
    GNAV3=REMOTE GPS
    Serial Port#4= ARINC

EFIS#3
    GNAV1=Remote ARINC
    GNAV2=Remote GPS
    GNAV3=Remote GPS

Gemini PFD has the same serial feed from the GTN650 as Serial Port#1 on EFIS#1 and EFIS#2.

See changes above, it should let part of the GTN650 data work on GPS3, you will not get any glide slope info from GPS3.

Question#1: Should the GTN650 serial inputs be defined at GNAV device? I'm assuming they should be defined, but I haven't configured that as of yet.

The EFIS software will automatically look for the Aviation data on a serial port for the screen that has the ARINC module.

Question#2: The GTN650 is showing a track of 271. SRC on EFIS#1-#3 is set to GNAV1. Heading on EFIS#1 is 285, EFIS#2 is 276, EFIS#3 is 276, and the Gemini is 276. Since the aircraft is stationary, I would assume that heading and track should be identical. I don't understand why all displays aren't showing a heading of 271. Additionally, why are the all showing 276, with the exception of EFIS #1. I'm assuming that either I'm not understanding something correctly, or perhaps I haven't configured something properly.

The GPS does not know the heading, you need to move so that it can actually measure the track. The EFIS screens are showing magnetic heading from the magnetometers. One of your screens is sending heading to the third screen. Have you done a magnetometer alignment?

Question#3: I seem to recall from a previous post that the AFS GPS came pre-configured. Is my recollection correct? I'm getting a GPS Integrety error. Is the best way to troubleshoot to hook up to a PC and validate the settings?

Is the plane outside?
    Does the AF-GPS have a clear view of the sky and is it away from the screens?

Call us from the plane or get our Ohio Technical support person to come look at it.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hickman View Post

See changes above, it should let part of the GTN650 data work on GPS3, you will not get any glide slope info from GPS3.

[B]The EFIS software will automatically look for the Aviation data on a serial port for the screen that has the ARINC module.
    I'll make the changes. One followup question, I actually have the serial out of the 650 wired in parallel to both port #1. Should I define each of the GNAV3 as local, or just define a local port for one screen and remote for the other.

The GPS does not know the heading, you need to move so that it can actually measure the track. The EFIS screens are showing magnetic heading from the magnetometers. One of your screens is sending heading to the third screen. Have you done a magnetometer alignment?
    Not yet. So that would explain the variances that I'm seeing. I plan to do the alignment next week after I get the engine running. The compass rose is to far away to pull the plane to it.

[B]Is the plane outside?
    Does the AF-GPS have a clear view of the sky and is it away from the screens?

Yes, the GTN650 didn't have any problems acquiring the satelites. The puck is sitting on the dash, just forward of the brace.

Call us from the plane or get our Ohio Technical support person to come look at it.
    I did speak with him late today. Something about being pre-occupied with a new grand-daughter. I suspect I'll get a personal visit this weekend.

thanks,

bob
    Last edited by rleffler; 04-16-2013 at 05:49 PM.
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying

The mag align does not use the compass rose, you only spin the plane.

All 3 of the GPS/Nav sources must point to the same device, in your case:

gps/Nav1. GTN650 using screen 2
    GPS/Nav 2. aF-GPS
    Gps/Nav 3. gTN650 aviation data using screen 1
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

The mag align does not use the compass rose, you only spin the plane.
    I guess I'll be re-reading the manual for the procedure again today.

thanks,

bob
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying