Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why not display round instruments on the "s" models?

Why not display round instruments on the "s" models?

Hi.

I'm wondering why the "s" models can't display the good oldfashioned round flight instruments gauges?
    The non-s cpu EFIS's can do this, but not the new ones. (or am I wrong?)

I often fly with passengers who prefer to look at a round airspeedgauge or altimeter, instead of the vertical scales, and the 3500 (non-s version) in my flying RV-7 I just switch over to that page. There they have the good old "six-pack" with round gages.

Anyone know why that option isn't included in the s-version EFIS's?

Or is it possible? Maybe I have missed something in the manual?
    270 hrs per Sept 2013 on my first RV-7; "Wilco"
    Now final assembly on my second -7; "Kermit"
    3500 EFIS in Wilco.
    4500s and 3400s in Kermit.
    Great products and customer support from AFS!

It is possible, but you have to enable the 'Six-Pack Panel Page'. See page 13 in the manual version 7.4.

Thanks for the reply. That was good news.

I was looking in my manual which was the 7.0 version and in there it didn't show up. Found it on the mentioned page in the 7.4 version on the AFS support pages online.
    Guess that's a lesson learned: always have the latest manual before asking questions....

However, I still don't see "six-pack panel page" in the 7.4 manual, but I'll install the EFIS in the plane today and look for it.
    Guess I've to update the SW version in my 4500 too, since I bought it from AFS a couple of years ago. Guess that "six-page page" has been added in the SW since then.
    Last edited by ao.frog; 03-16-2013 at 05:43 AM.
    270 hrs per Sept 2013 on my first RV-7; "Wilco"
    Now final assembly on my second -7; "Kermit"
    3500 EFIS in Wilco.
    4500s and 3400s in Kermit.
    Great products and customer support from AFS!

You need to turnthe page on in EFIS Settings Page List
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

6 Pack's Suck!

A lot of us grew up on "6-Packs". Even the airline I flew for found pilots were resistant to learn the new "glass" cockpits. However, with proper training, and about two days playing with the new displays, none wanted to ever go back to the "Steam Guages" as we salled them. Give the modern displays a try, and I an sure you will become quite comfortable in a hurry. I also offer training in that area.

Regards,

Gary Brown

Quote Originally Posted by garymail View Post
    A lot of us grew up on "6-Packs". Even the airline I flew for found pilots were resistant to learn the new "glass" cockpits. However, with proper training, and about two days playing with the new displays, none wanted to ever go back to the "Steam Guages" as we salled them. Give the modern displays a try, and I an sure you will become quite comfortable in a hurry. I also offer training in that area.
    I agree, but I found the six pack invaluable in my transition training. Fortunately, I have two 4500s in front of me. When I take my first flight in my RV-10 in a couple weeks, I plan on having the six pack on one screen and the default on the other. The issue I had during transition training was that my eyes weren't trained where to look quickly for the information I was seeking. I would then spend more time searching to the information on the screen, then I would be off course or off altitude when I looked back outside.

The good news is that I agree that this should be short lived. I suspect after a few flights and I'm more used to the display, the six pack will be turned off for good.

bob
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

Bob,
    I think it took me 10-15 hrs before I got used to the 4500. It is not just the displays but also the buttons and configuring them. Rob helped me with settings. There is alot of button pushing which keeps your head inside instead of outside. Also the synthetic vision is different than the atitude indicator we are used to flying.
    Good luck with your first flight.
    Regards,
    Alan
    N669G RV10 210 hrs

I deliberately avoided switching the 6 pack on so that I forced myself to become familiar with the new layout. I think it worked well.

Training

Guys, You just spent a bunch of cash to build a great airplane with state of the art avionics, why not invest a few bucks with some training that will gat you comfortable with the 21st century?

We live and die by our habit patterns. The "rule of primacy" is that we remember most what we learn first. Why not learn how to use the "magic" screens correctly and begin imprinting that on the grey matter?

Fly Safe!

Gary

Out of interest, who uses what to ensure they are not climbing or decending?
    I use the green tape but I was wondering if anybody relies on SV or airspeed?