Thread: Possibly stupid question about 4500s NAV-capability

Possibly stupid question about 4500s NAV-capability

Hi.

I have bought and installed a 4500s, a 3400s slave screen, synthetic vision and a GPS-receiver antenna for my RV-7.
    The plan is to use the 4500 as a EFIS and the 3400 as a map-screen with navigation info on it: waypoints, route-nav info etc etc.

I've read through the manual to find out how I can create waypoints, routes etc, but can't find anything?

Does this mean that I also have to install an external GPS (for example the Garmin 496) to be able to create waypoints, make routes etc?

If so, I have screwed up BIG TIME since the panel is done, all wiring is done and there's no room for any more.

Therefore, I'm VERY interested in the replies.....
    270 hrs per Sept 2013 on my first RV-7; "Wilco"
    Now final assembly on my second -7; "Kermit"
    3500 EFIS in Wilco.
    4500s and 3400s in Kermit.
    Great products and customer support from AFS!

The AF4500s/3500s/3400s series systems allow you to create and edit flight plans directly on the screen. The best way to utilize this feature is to start with the map and select a destination by using NRST, -D->, or panning over to an airport with the joystick. All three of these functions have a GOTO button associated with them that will prompt you to either, "Switch to Internal Navigation" or "Reset Internal Navigation". Pressing "YES" to these prompts will create a straight line course to your destination.

If you want to insert waypoints along the way you may use the Flight Plan page by pressing CHECK->FLTPLAN. Once on the Flight Plan page you will see PPOS and the Destination you selected. Press EDIT to access the flight plan edit features. Once in the Edit screen you have the options, FLY LEG, -D->, INSERT, and REMOVE. These functions are described below:

INSERT will add a new waypoint below the highlighted waypoint in the flight plan. The right knob is used to enter any named item in our database; this include airports, VORs, NDBs, and Intersections. The AF4500s/3500s/3400s series systems do not allow creation of custom waypoints at this time. However, Pocket FMS maps are now compatable and I believe custom waypoints can be created in their software and then selected on the AF4500s/3500s/3400s series systems.

REMOVE will delete the highlighted waypoint from the flight plan.

FLY LEG will select the highlighted waypoint as the destination and use the course from the previous waypoint to drive the CDI.

-D-> will select the highlighted waypoint as the destination and use the course from the aircraft's current position to drive the CDI.

Thanks for the reply. That was a BIG relief!!

Then another question comes to mind: you write "our database" as the source where I can find waypoints. I live in Norway and I think Jeppesen is the database I have to use for Norway and Europe. I hope the 4500 can use waypoints from Jeppesen database the same way it uses waypoints from the US database?

Another question: is it possible to make a software change for you guys at AFS so waypoints can be created in lat/long?
    We use that kind of waypoints much more often than VOR's, NDB's etc.

Last question: can the routes be saved? (like the Garmin 496 does) It's a nice feature in case you fly the same route sometime later. That saves alot of "knob-work"

Thanks.
    270 hrs per Sept 2013 on my first RV-7; "Wilco"
    Now final assembly on my second -7; "Kermit"
    3500 EFIS in Wilco.
    4500s and 3400s in Kermit.
    Great products and customer support from AFS!

It seems that PocketFMS has arrived for AFS so you might want to wait for the expected announcement on that. I would think that this development may offer significant improvement over the Jep data but details so far are sketchy.

Pocket FMS has arrived

Yes, PocketFMS is the alternative for our expensive Jeppesen maps. I have it working in my RV7A now. You will need software version 8.08.02.

Hi Friends,

I think it's save now to call PocketFMS support for AFS to be working fine. We will soon do a formal announcement, I've had only positive feedback from existing PocketFMS users who exported our AeroData to their AFS units. If anybody is interested in more details or has any questions / problems feel free to contact me at info at pocketfms dot com .

Rob

Rob,
    I look forward to the formal announcement!
    If it doesn't come soon I'll start to pester you with emails.
    Stick.