Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Pocket FMS success

This is what the guys at Pocket FMS have to say:

In all modest honesty I think AFS should provide a solution for those duplicate ID's; as [a] minimum pick the one closest to your current location . If the only solution is to remove FIRs then that would be uncomfortable, specially if you go fly in Europe mainland, France for example, where there are many Airfields with the same VFR reporting point ID (N,NW,S,W etc are very commonly used) .
    Comments please.

I've edited my image links from a few posts above so they should work. That problem seems to have resolved itself now but I'd be interested to know more about the blue screen.

Another issue I've had is a rather cluttered screen:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0aljfxnbn5...2009.18.21.jpg

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    PocketFMS has brought many new requirements that was never supported by the 4,000 series software. We are currently looking into adding support for non-unique identifiers to the 4,000 series code that would select the nearest waypoint. I am unable to provide an ETA on this feature at this time.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

Shawn, thanks for that. I remain puzzled though as to why the screen in the image linked earlier is so cluttered where it wasn't like that before I installed the latest map data and software.
    Here's what the guys at PFMS have to say:
    Think of it like this. PocketFMS just provides a full and complete list of data - airfield locations and names, airspace geometry, etc. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Geography determines where these items should appear on the screen, but it is the EFIS which determines what font size to use for text, where to put labels relative to the related symbol, how many lines to split text over, and indeed whether to display symbols and/or text or whether (to avoid clutter) some information should not be displayed. PocketFMS has no control over how the panel displays our data. If you looked at the same area in PocketFMS you might see a less cluttered display because the PocketFMS display software manages these aspects differently, but we have no way of enforcing our display logic onto the panel software, as that software is entirely developed by AFS. The only way we could declutter your display would be to reduce the number of airfields, etc, in our database, but we have no idea which airfields you might want to use and I'm sure you would be unhappy if you tried to plan to an airfield only to find we had decided not to include it!
    Now, I accept that the data is presenting some management problems with the 4000 series and I hope that you can provide a solution so that non-unique IDs can be handled but, as you can see from the image above, my screen has now become pretty much illegible. perhaps it's a font size issue too? Iseem to recall that one of the features of the software upgrade was a change in fonts.
    Colin

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    The issue was actually a problem with the beta version of the PocketFMS export software. We had some issues with large airspaces overrunning our vertex counts. Basically you were not seeing all the data available when running the old software. You are now seeing all the data that is being output by PocketFMS.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

Flew a reasonable distance today with the PocketFMS database for the first time - what a huge improvement over the Jepp data (for Europe).
    Thanks for implementing!!
    Peter