Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocket FMS success

Pocket FMS success

I have the Europe PocketFMS (PFMS) data working on the AF5600 after a bit of too and throwing with excellent support from both PFMS and AFS. You must be running the latest version of AFS - AF5000VX8.16.08-MV16 Updated 02-15-2013 from:
    http://www.advanced-flight-systems.c...00support.html

As PFMS pointed out the PFMS Dataset does NOT contain maps; it contains data on airspaces, airports, obstacles, frequencies and such. You use the Jeppesen under lying map still dated Jan 2011 downloadable from AFS web store (free), but as it only seems to show countries/sea/rivers, not a problem.

On a first look, and a 40 minute flight it looks like a good improvement. My local area matches the official CAA maps, and a local reporting point MALBY (the most used airways joining point in the area) was missing on the Jeppesen, but is on the PFMS. Also there are several military and gliding fields marked on the PFMS that are missing on Jep.

Below is a screen shot of the AF5600 running PFMS and the AF4500 running Jep, both are with the latest cycle:

AF5600 - PFMS
    Name:  AF5600.jpg
Views: 1104
Size:  75.6 KB

AF4500 - Jeppesen
    Name:  AF4500.jpg
Views: 1105
Size:  53.9 KB

A good example of the difference is the ‘Nearest’ the PFMS has picked up several useable airfields, some military and several gliding sites:

Name:  AFSNearest.jpg
Views: 1117
Size:  52.7 KB

Well done all.

Looking good Norman!

Brilliant - now we just have to wait "a few days" until the new 4500-release will come, right? ;-)

Ken has a beta test version with it working on the AF-4500. Email Info@Advanced-Flight-Systems.com to get it.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

The colours are probably obvious but it would be nice to have a official legend.

Yes, the legend is something I've tried to get from Jep but have failed.

I think both Jep and Pocket FMS just supply the raw data, AFS then interprets it.

madenau
    Can we expect to get the map data (rivers, highways cities) from PFMS later as well?

Michael

I will have Shawn check with PFMS to see what is available and if we can use it.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Hi Rob,
    I will switch to PFMS by end of this months.
    With the Jepp Data my runway (LOIJ) will not be displayed on the SV.
    The airport itself will be displayed on the map.
    Will I see the runway with PFMS under SV mode?

Christian
    Lancair 390 OE-CCM
    AFS 4500EEA - AFS Pilot
    Austria / Europe
    www.lancair.at