Thread: No, I'm not going to Kansas!

No, I'm not going to Kansas!

I have noted that my downloaded data has some mis-information in it recently and I'm try to figure out how it gets there. In the Longitude and Latitude it is inserting the following coordinates 39.06755 -94.89767, which puts me in Kansas for about 75 seconds at a time. I haven't determined in how many of the downloads (flights) it has occurred but it is not all of them but seems to be in most of the recent ones. I think it is only occurring once per flight but I haven't spent the time yet to find out the frequency.

Is it the GPS or the AFS. I have an AFS GPS and GNS 450W connected.

I tried to add a sample file but your size limitation is pretty small. Send me an email address if you would like a sample.

Thanks,

Nick
    Last edited by nleonard; 01-29-2013 at 07:53 PM. Reason: bad attachment

I have a 4500 and 3500 engine monitor and have recently been downloading my engine data to Mike Bush's great free site for engine analysis

https://www.savvyanalysis.com/home

But I also notice that every flight begins in Kansas, specifically SN27 Bovinair Airport! I asked guys at Savvyanalysis technical support about it and they claim that for some reason the AFS reports a dozen records of GPS data being in Bovinair.

Savvy was able to program their system to ignore the spurious entries but it seems the problem is coming from AFS.
    John Kazickas
    Sands Point, NY
    Glasair Sportsman N9GZ

"No, I'm not going to Kansas!"

If you have a Garmin Navigator, not only are you going to Kansas you are actually in Kansas when it starts up.

The Garmin 430W, GTN650, GTN750,... send out a GPS postition in Olathe Ks when they start up.

Email your data file to Info@Advanced-Flight-Systems.com
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Looked at your data, it is being caused by your Garmin 430W test page when the engine is running. The second ENTER button press on the 430W is the test page and outputs 39.06755 -94.89767 as a valid GPS position.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Is there any way to avoid this, short of turning on the radios prior to starting the engine?