Thread: FLARM Trafic display in AF-4500?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

FLARM Trafic display in AF-4500?

Hi,

I heard from Garret that they are compatible with the AF-4500, did anyone yet manage to display FLARM traffic information on the AF-4500?
    Regards
    Michael

I was told following from the Flarm guys:
    If you use the Garmin TIS protocol then you will see Flarm and ADSB traffic, but no TPX signals.
    To see all 3 sources you will need a butterfly display, or AF needs to get compatible with flarm signals.
    Powerflarm would be my first choice, as I could see 3 kind of traffic signals on one unit.
    Rob, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Christian
    Lancair 390 OE-CCM
    AFS 4500EEA - AFS Pilot
    Austria / Europe
    www.lancair.at

What is a TPX signal?

If you can get Flarm to send us a unit and test data we can modify software for it, TIS mode should work now.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Rob
    I meant secondary transponder signals.
    (For Mode-C / S transponder, the exact pressure altitude and distance is evaluated. The exact position cannot be evaluated.)
    These kind of signals will not be shown via TIS protocol.

I will try find someone at Flarm to get you the needed information and unit.

Christian

http://www.powerflarm.aero/index.php/en/
    http://powerflarm.us

PowerFLARM® shows dangerous situations with other aircraft. Here PowerFLARM® uses different methods in order to detect aircraft. The broadcast technology in PowerFLARM® recognizes a majority of the aviation traffic. PowerFLARM® has recognition technology for ADS-B, FLARM® and Mode C and Mode S transponders. PowerFLARM® continually sends out full FLARM® messages and will reliably detect all aircraft with built-in FLARM® or PowerFLARM®.

PowerFLARM evaluates different information from other aircraft dependent on their individual broadcast technology. The accuracy and range of information in this case depends largely on the technology used in other aircraft.

ADS-B traffic evaluates PowerFLARM ® long-range (> 50 nm) and more accurate GPS position and pressure altitude.
    FLARM ® transport is evaluated using a range of up to 10NM and accurate GPS position as well as pressure altitude.
    For Mode-C / S transponder, the exact pressure altitude and distance is evaluated. The exact position cannot be evaluated.

Even with aircraft that are equipped exclusively with FLARM®, PowerFLARM® has sufficient range to avoid hazards. The FLARM® transmitter and receiver within PowerFLARM was developed specifically for the demands of powered flight, and has higher performance than devices built for gliding. Nevertheless PowerFLARM® is fully compatible with all gliders using FLARM® devices. Thus, more than 8,000 aircraft in Germany are already able to recognize and avoid aircraft equipped with PowerFLARM®. The ADS-B and Transponder receiver in PowerFLARM ® has an even greater range.
    Lancair 390 OE-CCM
    AFS 4500EEA - AFS Pilot
    Austria / Europe
    www.lancair.at

Flarm Data interface documents available

For everyons benefit, the data format files are published by FLARM on their website:
    Data Port Specification

Data Port Specification (only available in English), version 6.00 (PDF 577 kB)
    Data Port Specification Addendum for version 6.00 (TXT)

all manuals etc. are there as well

http://flarm.com/support/manual/index.html

It would be great to get FLARM displayed on the AF-4500, will save me quite some money on insurance.

Regards
    Michael

If they send us a demo unit and sample data we can do it, I have emailed them.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Rob,

can you PM me the name of your contact just to avoid redundancies from my side.
    Thanks
    Mike

I was told following from Joachim Fetzer at Butterfly Avionics (Flarm)
    in about 2 monts the undirected Transponder signals might be displayed via Garmin-TIS.
    He will get in touch with Advanced to supply test data.

Christian
    Last edited by lancair390; 12-18-2012 at 02:47 PM.
    Lancair 390 OE-CCM
    AFS 4500EEA - AFS Pilot
    Austria / Europe
    www.lancair.at