Thread: Power Up Problem

Power Up Problem

Looking for trouble shooting advice for a power up issue on a TWTT Sportsman with an 3500S. Yesterday I turned on the unit with the master switch to check battery power and oil temperature as I was preheating the engine. I then turned the Master switch off and the unit went down without running on the backup battery as it usually does. I assumed the backup battery was no longer charged and so I turn unit on again with the master while having the trickle charged on the battery- 2 amp. I left the unit on for about an hour and when shutting down the master the backup batteries now kept the unit powering down as previously down. All things seemed good and possibly just week backup batteries.

After prepping for flight I turned on using master, started the engine, powered up all avionics and taxied to the fuel station. Shut down with master, all was normal. After fueling I turned on the master but this time the EFIS did not fire up. I was able to start the engine, power up all instruments and taxi back to the hanger. Again, on several attempt the 3500S did not power up when turning on the master. There is power everything and no breakers trips. Looking for advice.

Try it with the internal backup battery removed. Are you sure it has power to the EFIS?
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

It has power as today it did work when I turned on the master. The backup battery did not work when I turned it off again. I removed the battery and tried several times and it turned on each time. I am in the process of ordering a new battery from your web store and hope that somehow that prevented the several attempts to start the other day. The internal battery measured 7.35 volts but I have no way of measuring the load. It is 2.5 years old so I will order a new one. Thank you.

When the Af-4500 is switched off but power is still supplied, will the battery charge?
    I had mine sitting for at least two month with very little power on time and the internal battery shows 2.5 volts. Do I have to keep the unit up and running now for the backup battery to charge?
    Thanks
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    When the Af-4500 is switched off but power is still supplied, will the battery charge?
    I had mine sitting for at least two month with very little power on time and the internal battery shows 2.5 volts. Do I have to keep the unit up and running now for the backup battery to charge?
    Thanks
    Michael
    It only charges when the screen is on.
    Rob Hickman

Thanks Rob.

I tried to charge the batteries yesterday and the EFIS one came up from 1.5V to 3 Volts but wouldn't get higher than that after about 3 hours. Does that mean they are gone or do I have to charge them longer? The EM managed to reach only 2.5V.
    It would be a pity to replace them before I actually had a chance to use them really. If so what do new batteries for the AF-deck cost?

Regards
    Michael
    Last edited by Michael; 12-30-2012 at 08:07 AM.

Disconnect the battery and see what the voltage shows, it should go up and down if it is trying to charge it.
    Rob Hickman