Thread: Updating Charts (sectional, enroute, approaches)

Updating Charts (sectional, enroute, approaches)

I was looking at the "Transfer Files" page with the "Update Maps" entry. Above it is an "Update Charts". Does that mean if I put the sectionals, enroutes, approach plates, and airport diagrams on an SD card and use this entry to transfer them to the memory stick installed in the back of the unit? This would be a lot easier than climbing in the plane upside down and reaching through the wires behind the panel to remove and put back the memory stick on each unit (dual 5600s) every 4 weeks.

No. It will move the approach plates on an SD card to the internal memory of you 5x00's, and will do NO action against sectionals, IFR LO's, and airport diagrams. Due to the speed of the SD card, which will take approximately a half hour to transfer all approach plates in the US to the 5x00, I recommend keeping your USB stick updated with the approach plates and not using this mechanism. I especially recommend it if you are using sectionals/ifr lo/airport diagrams since you will need to update these files at the same time as the approach plates.

A follow up question, can I use a usb cable extender to put the memory sticks where I can reach them? If so any suggestions?

I'm not 100% sure about the answer to this as I've not tried it, and wasn't able to turn up a USB extension cable when I looked. However, so long as the end result is that you have 1 USB device plugged into 1 USB port via the cable, and that device normally works with your 5x00, I don't think you will run into a problem with it as far as the efis goes.

If you try to hook up a USB hub to it you will run into problems as 1 USB port doesn't supply enough power for multiple devices, so I will recommend against that, since we are on a closely related topic.

I don't really have much in the terms of advise on this, other then to be sure you have a means to identify which card is associated with which efis. And I would be sure that the USB stick works with the extension cable before tying the cable down since I can't give you a solid "yes it will definitely work".

You can use a USB extension cable; approach plates should be stored on the USB memory stick. There are very detailed instructions in Appendix F of the manual.

Name:  afs data usb.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  22.3 KB
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.