Thread: ARINC module wiring information

ARINC module wiring information

The AF5600 manual V2.6 has several references such as "For ARINC module wiring information see APPENDIX M, drawing number: 53620WD"

Perhaps I'm missing it, but I have been unable to locate drawing number 53620WD. If I missed it please tell me the page number. If not, is that available somewhere?

Thanks,
    Dick

Quote Originally Posted by DickF View Post
    The AF5600 manual V2.6 has several references such as "For ARINC module wiring information see APPENDIX M, drawing number: 53620WD"

Perhaps I'm missing it, but I have been unable to locate drawing number 53620WD. If I missed it please tell me the page number. If not, is that available somewhere?

Thanks,
    Dick
    It's on the 4500 support page for ARINC - 430.
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

Thanks - didn't think to look there..

Now I have another question. I'm installing a 5600 connected to a GTN650 and AF Pilot. The basic wiring chart (5000-650) shows connecting the 5600 to the AP primary serial input (pin 17), whereas chart 53620/1-wd shows a direct connection from the 650 (or 430) to the AP primary serial input. If I use the technique shown on 53620-wd, what capability am I loosing? I guess the basic question is should I also install a switch that controls the source of the primary serial input?

Wire the AF-pilot serial directly to the EFIS so you can turn it on and off from the EFIS screen, it should not go to the GTN650
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hickman View Post
    Wire the AF-pilot serial directly to the EFIS so you can turn it on and off from the EFIS screen, it should not go to the GTN650
    Hi Rob,
    What does the AF Pilot Primary Serial In connection have to do with turning the AP on or off?
    I'm guessing that you are going to be using the Primary Serial In line as the conduit for new EFIS commands to the AP?
    If so, I assume that an AF-Pilot firmware (as well as future EFIS software - in my case 4500) upgrade will be required?

Does this mean there will be new AFS/TT proprietary data sentences travering the Serial line? (Which any other devices sharing the line must ignore)

Thanks,
    Steve
    Steve Hutt

RV-7 / AF4500-EE / AF4500-MFD / AF-Pilot AP (not yet flying)
    West Sussex, UK

Question More thoughts....

I did some further thinking on this overnight and also read the "Developments" thread where Rob stated in May 2012 that AFS were developing "AF-Pilot On/Off and status" for the AF4500.
    I also had a look at the AF5000 manual for the first time to compare with my AF4500 manual.

I see that the AF5000 V2.6 manual on page 35 says:
    "The Primary Serial Input Pin on the AP must connected to the GPS or EFIS along with the ARINC A and B lines connected to the AF-ARINC module." &
    "If you have wired the AF-PILOT RS-232 to the EFIS the autopilot can be turned ON and OFF from the EFIS screen and the EFIS will display the current Autopilot status and trim."

This differs (obviously) from the AF3000-4000 V7.4 manual page 36 which just says
    "You must have the Primary Serial Input Pin on the AP connected to your GPS along with the ARINC A and B lines connected to the AF-ARINC module."

I am assuming that the manual for the upcoming 3000-4000 release will come into line with the 5000 V2.6 manual wording once the new software is released.

I have realised that there is a bit more to this change to have the EFIS interact more tightly with the AF-Pilot via the Primary Serial In than I had at first thought.

Previously the EFIS transmitted TO the AF-Pilot only via the ARINC module, while the AF-Pilot Serial In connection (in my config - 4500 EE/4500MFD/ARINC/AF-Pilot/G695/G296) was just another receiver of GPS data which was wired up in parallel to read NMEA stuff. Having the EFIS send commands to the AF-Pilot via the serial link appears to change all that and the EFIS-to-AF-Pilot-Serial-In connection is now different and needs to be dedicated (i.e. is nolonger a shared GPS data connection), as evidenced by the new category of EFIS Serial Link configuration ("AF-Pilot") now detailed in the 5000 v7.4 manual. How does the returned Status data come back the other way?

Would be grateful for confirmation that my understanding as described above is correct?

I also see on page 82 of the 5000 manual it says "In a two screen installation two GPS units should not be wired to the same screen." In my 4500EE/4500MFD/G695/G296 config should I switch to conform to this new advice? Previous advice was to wire both GPS's direct to both the EE and MFD devices. My understanding previously was that you could have any number of GPS serial feeds into a unit and switch back and forth between them.

Sounds like I need to redo my serial wiring. Pleased that I decided to build my own 'wiring hub' for this inter-connectivity. Project is still in the garage at home so not a big deal.
    Grateful for feedback on the above from AFS.

Regards,
    Steve Hutt
    Last edited by shuttle; 11-06-2012 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Return data
    Steve Hutt

RV-7 / AF4500-EE / AF4500-MFD / AF-Pilot AP (not yet flying)
    West Sussex, UK

We will be adding the RS232 AP control the the AF-4500 software and it will work like the AF-5000.

You can wire 2 GPS units to the same screen, if that screen were to fail you would lose both of your GPS units.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.