Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bug Report: Offset in subsequent "Direct To" courses

Bug Report: Offset in subsequent "Direct To" courses

Hi AFS,

I first noticed this in firmware 8.07.06 and it continues in 8.07.10. Hardware is a single EE-4500.

How to reproduce while flying:

- If on/engaged, turn off/disengage the autopilot

- Display the "Map" page with a zoom level of 7.4 NM

- Setup and activate a 'Direct To' to a nearby local airport and position the aircraft such that it is on course.

Name:  map.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  34.6 KB

- Re-enter and activate the 'Direct To'. Preferably, it should be to the same local airport but it doesn't matter.

Name:  map-offset.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  25.1 KB

- I've noticed that the 1st "Direct To" always works as expected but that subsequent "Direct To" always have this offset. If the a/p is engaged in EFIS mode, the a/p will alter course to intercept the new course.

Regards,
    /\/elson

I will look into it. The software is supposed to offset the start point of the new course to allow a smooth transition to the new course.

I have found the same problem. Here is an example of where this becomes an issue. Your "direct to" course takes you through some airspace (or even a cloud) that you need to divert around, so you disengage the AP (or put it in CWS mode), and steer to the side of the "obstacle". There really is no reason to go completely back onto your original course line, when you can go direct from where you are, having steered to the side of the "obstacle". So you then hit "direct to", and re-enter the existing destination, to redefine your course as starting from your present position, on the side of the "obstacle". But what happens is that, rather than starting from your present position, the course line starts at a point 1/2 to 1 mile LATERAL of your present position, so that when you re-engage the AP, it steers you aggressively to get on the bogus course line, a half mile off your wingtip.

I hate it when my wife says "what is it doing"!?!?
    Highest Regards,

Noah F
    RV-7A
    Rhode Island

The next software release will have this fixed.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hickman View Post
    The next software release will have this fixed.
    Hmmm - This begs the question as to when this can be expected? We've been anticipating "the next software release" for some time now. Just patiently waiting

the other thing is while on ap on gps course and doing an ils approach the 430w automatically switches to vloc but the ils course needle doesn't automatically go to the ils course and the plane flies in the wrong direction until setting the correct course.
    it has gappened to me twice in imc and was no fun
    we need the ILS course needle to go to the correct course
    Alan

Alan,

What was the airport and approach when this happened? The 430W does not send the inbound CRS so we have look at the GPS flight plan and try to figure it out, most full GPS to ILS approaches we set it. If you were using vectors to final we do not have the data to figure it out.
    Rob Hickman

Rob,
    KLCI ILS8 IAF CON
    http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1210/00785IL8.PDF
    when i got to NILUW 430w automatically switched from GPS to ILS but course needle was (ILS-green) not set to the correct inbound course and I was on AP so plane turned the wrong way until I disconnected and set inbound ILS course and hand flew approach.
    Alan

Did the plane turn or keep on the same CRS?

Where was the CRS needle pointed after the switch over?

Where was your heading bug? That approach makes a pretty sharp turn and it might have gone into arm mode and turn back to the heading bug.

I have an engineer looking into the problem.
    Rob Hickman

rob,
    I'm not sure. it is a sharp turn. All I saw was the ILS course needle pointing to the left when the course was to the right.
    today i experienced another thing with the ILS. I had dialed in the ILS course to RW 6 at KMHT and set the course to 58 degrees.It was being vectored around. When the ILS needle came alive the course had changed to a course of 198 degrees
    even though i had set it to 58 degrees just a few minutes prior and I had to reset it.
    Alan