Thread: Vertical minimums bug Autopilot no level off

Vertical minimums bug Autopilot no level off

When flying approaches with the autopilot coupled and the min alt set to DH, the autopilot levels off at the DH. Works great with the audio "minimums". Is there a way to fly with the autopilot coupled, the audio to still say "minimums" when DH reached, but not have the autopilot level off? If you are landing because weather is above minimums and click autopilot off a little late, it will have leveled off. I would rather just have the audio "minimums" and not level off. Seems the only option is to turn all altitude bugs on or off. Am I correct? Thanks - Bob

me too!

The auto pilot receives a signal to start leveling off about 200' above the set minimums. No other system does this, so to outwit the problem, I set minimums 200' below actual minimums.

Sometimes 400' still leaves me in the clouds, about 1.2 miles from the airport. Even if the weather is 400' and 1 mile, (my personal minimums) it still leaves you in the clouds without visability to the airport.

Remember that on an ILS, when the approach lights are in sight, it allows you to descend to 100', from that point on the landing environment must be in sight.

I would rather hear and see"Minimums" and not have the level off commanded.

Gary Brown
    Continental Airlines - Retired

I have usually disconnected the AP and are hand flying before the minimum alert. I think the level off at minimums is a good safety feature if still on AP at minimums.I wish there was a go around button on the AP like in some of the other systems.My personal minimums are pretty conservative though.
    Alan