Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Serial port combined functions, or port expander

Yes, I understand that, but if you treat it as two separate unidirectional ports, then shouldn't that be ok?

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    The problem is the physical transceiver on a serial port doesn't have the ability to split the transmitter from its receiver pair. Your solution would require an asynchronous and independent time processing for each of our "8" channels. Which is far more complicated then our hardware and software was intended.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

I had spoken with one of your engineers who said you could add the altitude labels to then 429 outputs. In the meantime, I had what I thought was a good idea to use my backup D6 as the altitude encoder. Unfortunately, I am having intermittent problems with that. The 480 can accept multiple signals and will prioritize the arinc over the serial, but now I'm faced with having to tear everything apart again and rewire it back to AFS. Is there any chance the alt labels will make it into the next software release? I can tolerate it for a little while, but if it's going to be months I need to get the Dynon fixed or rewire the encoder input again.

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brianjohnson View Post
    altitude labels to then 429 outputs
    It will be on the order of months for the changes. We are in the process of changing the ARINC firmware to allow for these labels.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

ok, sounds like I need to focus on getting the Dynon fixed then. Thanks.

Ok, so it turns out the 480 supports Shadin ALT at 9600 baud which is a format you already support. Would it be possible to add AVTN/Shadin ALT? I talked to Ken and it sounded like it would not be a lot of work to add it. It sounds like the ARINC changes are still months away, so this could work for me in the meantime since I've been having problems trying to use my backup D6 as the altitude encoder. At the moment I'm back to having my second GPS disconnected from the EFIS to make everything work. Thanks.