Thread: Problems with latest software

Problems with latest software

I have flown the latest 4500 sfotware for a few weeks. I notice that often there is nothing displayed in the wind vector, just blank lines, even though there is a lot of disparity between the true airspeed and the ground speed. About half the time it registers correctly. The previous version was displayed and correct all the time.

also, seems the fuel flow K factor was effected, I now have to recalibrate the fuel flow.

The altitude capture is now a bit lazy, often overshoots 100'+ before returning to selected altitude. This is all happened since the new software.

Anybody else have the same problems?
    Regards,

Gary Brown

Quote Originally Posted by garymail View Post
    I have flown the latest 4500 sfotware for a few weeks. I notice that often there is nothing displayed in the wind vector, just blank lines, even though there is a lot of disparity between the true airspeed and the ground speed. About half the time it registers correctly. The previous version was displayed and correct all the time.

also, seems the fuel flow K factor was effected, I now have to recalibrate the fuel flow.

The altitude capture is now a bit lazy, often overshoots 100'+ before returning to selected altitude. This is all happened since the new software.

Anybody else have the same problems?
    Regards,

Gary Brown

Gary,
    I have not noted the fuel changes or the ap changes but the wind still doesn't display if it is a crosswind. It is strange that on my copilot side the wind displays on the 3400 but not the 4500.
    Alan

When the wind is nearing 90 degrees you can't calculate the wind and very small errors in heading cause huge errors in wind. Rather than display false data we remove the wind calculation and replace it with dashes. This is the same way certified edits units do it.

We have not had any other reports of a fuel flow problem.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

When the wind is nearing 90 degrees you can't calculate the wind and very small errors in heading cause huge errors in wind. Rather than display false data we remove the wind calculation and replace it with dashes. This is the same way certified edits units do it.

Rob,
    I have not seen this on the g1000.
    Would it be possible to have options on the wind display like the g1000?

•Total wind
    •Two arrows depicting headwind/tailwind and crosswind component
    •"H" or "T" and "X" plus numerical value

Alan

Rob, not to bring up the Chelton's again, but I never saw them remove the wind data. I agree that it might be hard to calculate, but perhaps someting other than dashes/blank data would be appropriate. It's hard to tell at frist glance if the wind data is not working or there is a large 90 degree cross-wind. A glance at the flight path indicator usually confirms.

Vic

We are working on a new software filter and testing the winds for all 360 degrees.

The problem with homemade airplanes is that there is no control on where the magnetometers get mounted and how much error there is in the installation.
    Errors in heading, OAT, and pitot/static installations cause huge errors in the winds and generate too many tech support calls.

Many RV’s have large IAS errors due to bad static port placement and this causes huge wind errors and generate too many tech support calls......

You would not believe all the tech calls we get on things we don’t even manufacture.

Real calls from today:

"How do I wire my ACK ELT?"
    "How do I configure my Garmin 330 to talk to the Navworx box"
    "How do I get into calibration on my Garmin GTN650?"
    "How much is a airline ticket to Mexico City?"
    Rob Hickman

Not sure why a cross wind does not display....seems the al-gore rythm looking at the difference between heading, track and ground speed should crunch to satisy the equasion. Am I missing something? I'm no math guy, still having trouble figuring out why hot dogs come 10 to a pack, and buns 12 to a pack.

Gary

Coolant temp

Rob, love the coolant temp option in the new release, especially since I am building the Kitfox with the 912S and was just about ready to cut a hole in the panel for a coolant temp gauge. I couldn't find any documention on which pin to wire it to as well as which probe? Oil temp probe work?

Thanks.

Vic

I will email the drawing...
    Rob Hickman