Thread: gps out to autopilot?

gps out to autopilot?

All the A/P wiring diagrams show 430W pin 56 going to trutrak/afpilot. I have a gps puck connected to my af5000. It would be nice if the AF5000 could send the serial GPS signal to the autopilot using the best available signal.

Possible?

You should wire the AF-Pilot directly to the EFIS serial port. See attached drawing, ignore the GTN650 connection if you dont have one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Hmm. I'm curious about the change from prior drawings with the use of both rx/tx on the serial line. I have a 3-pole switch that allows me to select either a 430W or AF5000 as the ap source. The switch flips the ARINC a+b and the gps->AP serial line. Is the reverse AFS->AP serial line used/required? I've been flying without that, and I haven't noticed anything not working??

Also, what is SER2 rx/tx configured as in the system? The drawing does not show this setting.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dhall_polo View Post
    Hmm. I'm curious about the change from prior drawings with the use of both rx/tx on the serial line. I have a 3-pole switch that allows me to select either a 430W or AF5000 as the ap source. The switch flips the ARINC a+b and the gps->AP serial line. Is the reverse AFS->AP serial line used/required? I've been flying without that, and I haven't noticed anything not working??

Also, what is SER2 rx/tx configured as in the system? The drawing does not show this setting.

Thanks!

Serial Port #2 is configured as AF-Pilot. If you have both TX/RX wired to the AF-Pilot the EFIS can turn on and off the autopilot and display its current status.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

So a reasonable config with a switch would be to wire the ap->afs line directly and to use a 3pdt switch to flip between the 430 gps+arinc lines and the afs gps+arinc lines?

Btw, I do find this switch to be useful. Sometimes it's easier/convenient to manipulate climb rate directly from the ap head unit, so I'll switch to the 430w which doesn't do vert nav enroute. It is also a nice layer of redundancy.