Thread: Homemade Syntethic Approaches

Homemade Syntethic Approaches

I saw this on VAF this morning and was curious as if anything similiar can be done on the 4500s or 5xxx platforms.

bob

-------------

From time to time customers ask about the synthetic approach capability in the GRT Avionics Sport and Horizon EFIS (all models). How does it work, are public and/or private airports supported, etc. The one question that we have not been able to answer positively til now was, "Can I fly a synthetic approach to my backyard strip?" The answer now, is, yes, you can.

Below are file details to make a synthetic approach in the GRT Avionics EFIS to any landing site you want, anywhere in the world.

<GRTUserDB>
    <Airport ident="UDBEX3" lat="42.900000" lon="-85.900000" elevation="604" name="USER DATABASE EXAMPLE 3">
    <Runway surface="ASP" length="3000" width="50" >
    <RunwayEnd ident="09" lat="42.900000" lon="-85.904000" elevation="606.0" />
    <RunwayEnd ident="27" lat="42.900000" lon="-85.896000" elevation="602.0" tdze="602.67" dispthr="200" dispthrelev="602.27" lights="Yes" />
    </Runway>
    </Airport>
    </GRTUserDB>

For more details about Synthetic Approach to Your Backyard Strip go to
    http://grtavionics.com/Default.aspx?id=37

Regards,

Carlos Fernandez
    GRT Avionics
    ...above, beyond.
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

Cool

Rob,
    I read your response to the question on VAF. Can this be done in the 4500 or just the 5xxx series? Before I try and get frustrated if it doesn't work. Also, are you going to update the 4500 manual and make more videos or is everything leaning towards the 5xxx?

Currently The AF-4500s, and the new AF-5000 units will let you set the glide slope and draw HITS boxes into any airport in the database. We have added a number of private airports to the database. The next software release will let you add the airport so that we dont have to do it.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Homemade Syntethic Approaches

Cool. I fly in and out of a small private strip daily, and this is right up my alley!

Ron

How does one do this Rob? Is this explained in the latest manual?
    Highest Regards,

Noah F
    RV-7A
    Rhode Island

Until we get the new software release you need to send us the runway endpoint data.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.