Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backup Power Functionality

Backup Power Functionality

If a backup battery is connected to the backup power pin on the DB-15 expansion connector, and power is lost on the primary power pins on the main connector, does the EFIS behave like the previous models with an internal backup battery?

(ie; The "Primary power lost" warning is displayed and an acknowledgement is required to continue in battery operation else the unit shuts down after 30 seconds?)

Thanks,

Chuck

Chuck,

The 5000 series operates in the same manner as the 3x00 and 4x00 series units when the main power is lost.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckwn2 View Post
    If a backup battery is connected to the backup power pin on the DB-15 expansion connector, and power is lost on the primary power pins on the main connector, does the EFIS behave like the previous models with an internal backup battery?

(ie; The "Primary power lost" warning is displayed and an acknowledgement is required to continue in battery operation else the unit shuts down after 30 seconds?)

Thanks,

Chuck
    I believe that you only get the Primary Power Lost message when all external power sources are lost.
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

Quote Originally Posted by rleffler View Post
    I believe that you only get the Primary Power Lost message when all external power sources are lost.

On the AF-5000 series there is only Master Power and Backup Power

EFIS Main Power Connections

The AF-5000 Series power requirement is 12 volts at 2.8 Amps, a 5 amp circuit breaker orfuse should be used for the system.

All wire should meet Mil Standard MIL-W-22759/16 (Tefzel insulation)

20 AWG wireis normally sufficient for the power supply and ground wires.

EFIS Main Cable (DB-25)
    Pin1, 15 Red Master Power
    Pin2, 3 Black Master Ground
    The master power pins are internally connected.

EFIS Backup Power Connections

The AF-5000 Series backup power input must be connect to the aircraft battery or a TCW backup battery module. The backup power input keeps the clock time when shut down and prevents an EFIS reboot when starting the aircraft engine.

EFIS Expansion Cable (DB-15)

Pin 6 Red Backup Power Input
    Pin 15 Black Backup Power Ground
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Rob, what about the power to the ems board and the Arinc module. If power is lost to the main inputs AND the ems/arinc, will the backup power input power those boards (ems/arinc) also?

And if the main power remains on one of the main pins and is lost on the ems and/or arinc, will the backup input power the lost power?

I will have a main and battery backup bus and I'm deciding how to handle the multiple power inputs and the backup input on the 5500.

Thanks, Deene

The EMS board is inside the EFIS and will be powered by the backup power. The ARINC is a separate power source and will not be powered, if you lose power to the EFIS you will most likely lose power to the GPS navigator talking ARINC so it does not matter.
    Rob Hickman

I have tcw and 5500. I also have af3500 with internal battery.

More "behave the same" questions.
    - Can I power on the 5500 with only backup power? (to get it running before cranking and turning on avionics bus)
    - The TCW instructions show connecting an external switch. Ugh. I notice the AF instructions do not show the extra switch. Any comments on the diff?

Yes it will run on only the backup power input. TCW has an update that will let you run power all the time and eliminate the switch.

The best way is to wire it like the manual shows. EFIS Main Power to Master Switch (NOT AVIONICS)
    Rob Hickman

On the price list/options there is a generic Backup Battery option (http://www.advanced-flight-systems.c...g/pricing.html) - AF-BAT. Is this suitable for the 5600 series? I have some paperwork from OSH last year and the battery was listed as for 3400/4500s. So I'm wondering if this battery is still recommended for the 5600 or if we should be using a TWC one direct? It looks like a 4Amp Hour one would give about 1.5 hours on a 5600 based on the power requirements in the manual - is that accurate?

Any response to CW (mark) regarding the 5600 backup battery vs the TCW?
    Pros/Cons?
    Am i right in thinking the TCW could provide backup power to multiple radios, etc, but the 5600 battery is only for the 5600?

Thanks!

Phil