Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serial port choices

Serial port choices

I have the following devices I need to connect to the 4500 through the serial ports:
    - GTN 650 (GPS/Nav/Com)
    - SL-30 (Nav/Com)
    - VP-X (electronic circuit breaker)
    - ARINC 429 module
    - GTX 330 (transponder)

Since there are only four serial ports, I need to choose which one doesn't get connected.

- The GTX330 is already connected to the GTN650 and Dynon D-6 (Backup EFIS). I would think that would be the one I don't connect.
    - Or, since I'm already connecting to the GTN650 with the ARINC 429 module, should I sacrifice that connection?

I welcome your suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkM View Post
    I have the following devices I need to connect to the 4500 through the serial ports:
    - GTN 650 (GPS/Nav/Com)
    - SL-30 (Nav/Com)
    - VP-X (electronic circuit breaker)
    - ARINC 429 module
    - GTX 330 (transponder)

Since there are only four serial ports, I need to choose which one doesn't get connected.

- The GTX330 is already connected to the GTN650 and Dynon D-6 (Backup EFIS). I would think that would be the one I don't connect.
    - Or, since I'm already connecting to the GTN650 with the ARINC 429 module, should I sacrifice that connection?

I welcome your suggestions.

You didn't mention how many screens you have in your panel. The good news that you can share serial ports across the buss, so you aren't limited to four ports if you have more than one screen.

If you only have one screen, you don't have a choice with the VP-X, 429, and transponder. The first two won't work with a connection to the EFIS. The transponder needs the encoder output from the EFIS or a dedicated encoder. Fortunately, most of the functionality of the 650 can be used through the 429. But I would still hook up the 650 over the SL-30. I don't recall off the top of my head, what features of the 650 are 429 based versus 232 based. A good read of the install manual will help you answer that question.
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

Just one screen. I'm building an RV-8 so there is no room for a second screen.

In the data output section for the ARINC 429 in the GTN 650 manual, it lists the labels for ARINC 429, but it also lists six GAMA formats. These GAMA formats have all the capabilities of the RS-232 port, plus many others. If I can set the output on the ARINC 429 module to one of these GAMA formats, my problems would be solved.

Is it possible to change the output format on the ARINC 429 module?

Revisiting the ARINC 429 schematic, it shows an ARINC 429 connection and an RS-232 connection. I suppose my back-up plan is to add a separate altitude encoder.

Thanks,
    Last edited by MarkM; 01-02-2012 at 08:24 AM.

The good news is that we are making a software change to enable the EFIS serial port to receive aviation and transmit ICARUS altitude data.

EFIS Serial Ports:

#1 RXD Aviation <- GTN650
    TXD ICARUS -> GTN650 + GTX330

#2 VP-X

#3 SL30

#4 ARINC Module

Then connect your 330 to the 650 and use it to display traffic.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hickman View Post
    The good news is that we are making a software change to enable the EFIS serial port to receive aviation and transmit ICARUS altitude data.

EFIS Serial Ports:

#1 RXD Aviation <- GTN650
    TXD ICARUS -> GTN650 + GTX330

#2 VP-X

#3 SL30

#4 ARINC Module

Then connect your 330 to the 650 and use it to display traffic.
    I'm wiring McCurdy's panel now and need the extra port for a 496 as GPS2. What release will this change be in?

Thanks, Deene Ogden

It is already in the AF-5000 software.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

In the AFS Install manual, it says I can use the EFIS can act as an altitude encoder on Serial
    Port 2.

I wired my Serial Ports per your suggestion.

I will soon be putting the forward top skin and I want to make sure the wiring is as
    complete as possible before I do it. Will the 4500 provide encoder data on Serial
    port 1 as wired, provided the settings are correct?

Thanks,

Mark Merrell

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    Any serial port can send altitude encoding with configured for **/ICARUS or other altitude formats are possible as well.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com