Thread: Power Planning

Power Planning

What is the amperage requirements for the 5500 and 5600 EFIS systems? Just working on my electrical plan.

Also, other than an ethernet hub, do any of the other EFIS accessories have power requirements (ARINC, etc..)?

Charlie,

We need to stop bumping into each other like this........

The AFS installation manuals do quite a good job explaining these things. Since you've asked similiar questions on other forums too, I would recommend that you find the install manuals for all the gear you are looking at potentially using. Besides answering your specific questions, you'll probably find out some new tidbits that you didn't know. I know that I always find something new when I read/re-read the manuals.

Vertical Power also has a cheat sheet of the more popular avionics on their site.

The answer to your specific questions can be found on pages 62, 89, and 118 of the 5500 manual.

bob
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

Thanks Bob, small world indeed. I didn't see that the new 5500 series book was out yet, as I was still working off the old manual, thus my research to find new info. I just grabbed the new book.

As for Garmin, it appears they like to hide their install and power information as all the manuals I can find are operator/pilot and nothing for the installer - which I know is not their primary focus (experimental installers). Have any good pointers on where to find installer manuals for the Garmin products?

I've been using the VP power planner, but some things aren't there and I'm trying to decide if I can squeeze everything into a 60A alternator.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieWaffles View Post
    As for Garmin, it appears they like to hide their install and power information as all the manuals I can find are operator/pilot and nothing for the installer - which I know is not their primary focus (experimental installers). Have any good pointers on where to find installer manuals for the Garmin products?
    The older Garmin product installation manuals are available from a variety of sources online, but since you are looking at the brand new those are widely available and Garmin frowns on their dealers giving them out. However, I've found that the popular ones that service experimentals are happy to provide them once you purchased the product. Send me your email, it may be time for Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieWaffles View Post
    I've been using the VP power planner, but some things aren't there and I'm trying to decide if I can squeeze everything into a 60A alternator.
    It will most likely be tight. I'm in the same boat. Average usage is well under 60a, but max usage is right at 60a. In talking to folks that are already flying, I decided to go ahead and start with a 60a. If push comes to shove, I'll upgrade to 70a later if needed.
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler