Thread: Jepessen maps

Jepessen maps

Hi Trevor,

I have been running older Beta software + maps from before the map data became available from Jepessen. I would like to make the jump to 'real' Jepessen map data, which I need since I live in Canada. Can you outline the steps for doing that?

e.g. I am not sure what files I get from AFS, and which files I get from Jepessen (map, ter, vec). All the instructions I could find seemed to refer to the US map data from AFS.

Thanks!

Hello,

You'll want to visit our web store to download the Vector and Terrain files for North America. You'll then need to contact Jeppesen to purchase the North American map data. They will set you up with a username and password for their JSUM software. Insert the SD card into your computer and have JSUM download the map data file to the card. That's it!
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems
    Support@Advanced-Flight-Systems.com

Great - thanks, Trevor.

Will that Jepessen data work with the latest AFS software for the 3500 (i.e. version 7.03.07-MV15-AV40)? Or do I need some beta software to run the Jeppesen maps?

Current software will work fine with Jepp maps
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems

Thanks, Trevor - got it working no problem. Another related question:

Is there any way to show more detail on the maps? I fly only VFR, and there is very (VERY) little detail on the maps in my area. E.g. most lakes do not show - some do when I zoom in close enough, but many do not. (Probably around 10% of what is shown on my 496). No cities are shown, nor are major roads or railroads - all the things that would be nice to see for VFR flying. My 496 displays these very well, but the screen is so small compared to the 3500. Is there a way to display that detail on the AFS?

Also, is there a way to change how the de-cluttering is done when I zoom out? Many of the smaller airports seem to disappear as I zoom out, and reappear as I zoom in closer. Is there a way to always keep the airports displayed? If an airport is not displayed at the present zoom level, and you search for NRST, it seems to only find airports that are displayed at that zoom level?

Thanks!

It's a good question. Why no answer?

Since we get the data from Jeppesen, we are not totally in control over what data there is. We understand Garmin supplements the Jepp data with a lot of their own aviation data, which is why you may see a difference on a Garmin handheld depending on the region. I do know we updated the terrain a bit for Canada in July when it was pointed out that several data points were missing. Can you point out exact names and locations of lakes that you are not seeing?
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems

Hi Trevor,

Next time I go flying I will confirm a few large lakes etc that do not show up.

On the other point (decluttering), I personally see the NRST button mostly for use in emergencies when I need to get down asap. It bothers me a bit that the AFS will not show me the nearest airport when I press the NRST button... It will only show the nearest airports at my present zoom setting. If I had a real emergency I'm not sure my first thought would be to cycle through the EFIS zoom settings. Two suggestions that I think would be a big improvement to the mapping function, and safety:

- Keep the present NRST setup if desired, but add a feature where if I HOLD DOWN the NRST button, it automatically adjusts zoom levels and shows my TRUE nearest airports, for use mainly in emergencies; and/or

- Give the owner some control in the config file over how the decluttering is done?

Thanks -

The NRST idea is a great one! I'll forward that to our software teams.
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems