Thread: XM weather question

XM weather question

Hi Rob:

I think you are working on filling my dual 3500EF/EM order. Included in my order is the XM weather module. Please clarify how this installation works. I assume this includes this XM box:

http://www.wxworx.com/index.php?opti...=33&Itemid=289

Do you also include the PoE interface module? And thus I conclude that power for the XM receiver comes from the AFS box to the XM received through the interface module and I do not need a separate power source/CB for the XM receiver.

I am probably entirely wrong but maybe you could clarify just how this works (I am planning my CB and wiring layout on my RV-7).

Thanks

Doug Weiler
    Hudson, WI

Hi Doug,

You are correct. The PoE module is included and is used to both power and provide data to your AFS-3500EF/EM screen configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Conroy View Post
    Hi Doug,

You are correct. The PoE module is included and is used to both power and provide data to your AFS-3500EF/EM screen configuration.
    Thanks Trevor!!!!

Hi Trevor,
    Ir I am not mistaken a POE hub/switch is required to power the POE module. What hub/switch are you recomending? Is my understanding correct? Thanks DonVS

NETGEAR makes quality switches that would be suitable. You will need one for your configuration.
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems
    Support@Advanced-Flight-Systems.com

I spoke with WxWorx today and they mentioned the unit can be powered via two methods: PoE by use of a special PoE switch/hub, or via the 12-30V power port on the receiver.
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems

I installed a Linksys SD-205 (as suggested in the AFS manual) in between our 3400EE, 3400EFIS and WX receiver. I also provided power to the WX receiver. Will this be a problem? Does anyone know if the SD-205 will provide PoE? If so, I can remove the seperate power connection to the WX receiver.

The SD-205 is not a PoE module. Your current wiring is correct.
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems

I was not able to find a PoE 12 volt hub or switch. I am sure that none of the major switch builders make one. Just get the power adapter from wxworks and power the wxworks module that way.