Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Afs gps

I removed the magnets from the couple of gps pucks I have "surgically" using a razor blade and and a small screwdriver, then filling the void with epoxy. There is really no need for excessive heat. It's pretty easy to see where to cut.
    Last edited by Paul Winkels; 06-28-2011 at 05:16 PM.

The GPS that I got about a year ago, has the magnets in it. I'll probably try to remove them tomorrow.

I decided to shorten my AFS GPS today. When looking at the DB9 there was to black wires connected to the ground pin. Imagine my surprise when I cut the cable shorter and found three black wires plus the shield drain.

For those that have done this already, did you connect all three black wires to ground? If not, how do you determine which two black wires go to ground?

Thanks,

Bob
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

Bob,

I have the same question re wiring of the gps connector. I removed the magnets by using a flat bottomed dado bit from my router, chucked in my drillpress. Used the same diameter bit as the 4 recesses on the bottom of the puck. Made a nice, clean hole that was adequate to remove the magnets.Filled the holes with E6000.

Jim Berry
    RV-10

Does the AF-GPS require power, or is it purely a data connection?

What are the pin-outs for the connector?

OK - answered my own question - it needs 5v. I'm guessing AFS includes a 5v pin in the 9 pin connector.
    Where's the best place to get 5v from the serial 4 5v supply? The GPS 18 takes only 65ma and the serial 4 supply can provide 350ma.

Thanks, Peter
    Last edited by Peter Pengilly; 04-28-2013 at 05:02 AM. Reason: added half an answer

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Pengilly View Post
    Does the AF-GPS require power, or is it purely a data connection?

What are the pin-outs for the connector?

OK - answered my own question - it needs 5v. I'm guessing AFS includes a 5v pin in the 9 pin connector.
    Where's the best place to get 5v from the serial 4 5v supply? The GPS 18 takes only 65ma and the serial 4 supply can provide 350ma.

Thanks, Peter
    You answered most of your questions. The the Garmin manual is available on garmin.com, which will give you the pin out.

bob
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler