Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: xm problems

I started this thread back in 2011. I tried three different hubs including the stein air. I finally resolved issue by getting rid of xm and going to navworx adsb. Works well.

I have a SD 205 HUB in my RV-10 with XM weather, over 1000 hours with no problems.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

I've been using XM via WXWORX for 4+ years and 550+ hours without issue. About a month ago I noticed I wasn't getting weather. I fly all the time, the most I have gone without flying is 2 weeks. My XM box green power LED will power on, but then power itself down after a few minutes. I spoke to WXWORX today and they said this was normal if they aren't getting data. They said I should "Put the WXWORX box in activation mode and send a refresh signal from Sirius/XM". Don't know how to put the box in activation mode. Is there a way to do this via AFS' software? Couldn't find anything in the AFS manual, and I don't have a WXWORX manual (and they don't either believe it or not). I have the AFS recommended Cisco hub and dual 4500s.

Any help appreciated.
    Highest Regards,

Noah F
    RV-7A
    Rhode Island

Noah... interesting in that about a week ago I encountered exactly the same problem with my XM and AFS4500 and AFS 3500 EFIS boxes. I have gone through the refresh process and no changes. I do have the manual for my WXWORX box model REWX91D. I don't get a SIGNAL indication which means no signal detected. So I'm not sure what is happening as I have had 425 hours of trouble free service from this unit. My antenna is mounted under the cowling. I'm wondering if I have a bad antenna. I have a call into AFS tech support. I have ADSB set up and running so I guess I could dump XM. The only reason I have been keeping it is that their radar display is far superior to the ADSB image.

Doug Weiler
    RV-7

Thanks for the update, Doug! I am also getting no signal connection. I have checked my antenna connection which is as good as ever, and sent a dozen refresh signals. Are we the only 2 remaining users of XM?? Let me know what you find!
    Highest Regards,

Noah F
    RV-7A
    Rhode Island

Quote Originally Posted by NoahF View Post
    Thanks for the update, Doug! I am also getting no signal connection. I have checked my antenna connection which is as good as ever, and sent a dozen refresh signals. Are we the only 2 remaining users of XM?? Let me know what you find!
    Yes, we might be the last left on earth! I talked to AFS yesterday and they really had no idea. But it is interesting in that our problems are essentially identical. I'm going to call WXWORX later today and see what they say.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by dougweil View Post
    Yes, we might be the last left on earth! I talked to AFS yesterday and they really had no idea. But it is interesting in that our problems are essentially identical. I'm going to call WXWORX later today and see what they say.

Doug
    Just talked with Vince at WXWORX and he had no specific solutions other than trying a new antenna before I send the WXWORX box back to them. My XM antenna is mounted under the cowling (this whole system has about 425 hours of use). He said antennas have been known to go bad. So I decided to get a new one so that has been ordered and I'll give it a try. Will let you know.

Doug

Great thanks Doug! When I spoke to WXWORX, they said I needed to put the box in activation mode and then do an XM refresh. How you enter activaiton mode, nobody knows. What's a new antenna cost? Is yours a Gen 1 WXWORX box?
    Highest Regards,

Noah F
    RV-7A
    Rhode Island

How did it work out Doug?
    Highest Regards,

Noah F
    RV-7A
    Rhode Island