Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any news of Sun And Fun Announcements

Any news of Sun And Fun Announcements

Any news or information on announcements at Sun and Fun? I heard perhaps a new transponder? Pricing for 5600?

Yes, I'm waiting on xpdr news too. Let's hear it!
    --
    Larry Bowen, http://BowenAero.com
    RV-7 with 5800 EE planned...

The price on the new transponder will be about $1750. It is still in the certification stages, so we are estimating mid-summer availability. It is a Mode-C remote transponder that will package nicely with the remote ADS-B box for better traffic (compared to TIS-A from the GTX-330) and the free FIS-B weather service.
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems
    Support@Advanced-Flight-Systems.com

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Conroy View Post
    It is a Mode-C remote transponder that will package nicely with the remote ADS-B box for better traffic (compared to TIS-A from the GTX-330) and the free FIS-B weather service.
    To be clear, this means that it is not capable supporting a 1090ES datalink for ADS-B out, required above FL 180 in the U.S. or to function in the European ADS-B system. Correct?

The transponder is indeed Mode-C. We utilize the NavWorx ADS600-B transceiver which meets the 1098ES and 978Mhz requirement. Using the two boxes saves you money since you are not having to buy a Mode-S transponder with 1090ES AND an ADS-B box.
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems

But if you want to fly above FL 180 and want FIS-B, you're going to need both a Mode-S transponder with 1090ES and a UAT ADS-B box.

This is not the case with the NavWorx ADS600-B. It is also a mode-s transponder. They are working on certification right now.
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems

Really? Can you point me to information that explains these mode-s transponder (and 1090ES) capabilities of the ADS600-B? This is news to me, and I see no mention of such capabilities here: http://www.navworx.com/ads600-b.asp

To be clear, I know that the ADS600-B functions as an ADS-B out device over a UAT datalink, but to my understanding, that is not sufficient for flight above FL 180, which requires a 1090ES datalink.
    Last edited by markhamstra; 04-07-2011 at 10:20 AM.

You may have to call Bill at NavWorx. I got the information from him. As far as I understand it, the ADS600-B has a built-in transponder which has the capability to transmit your N#, hex code, and/or Flight ID number. That very feature is the Mode-S part of the output.
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems

Well, certainly the same information as is transmitted over a Mode-S transponder reply and even over an 1090ES ADS-B out response is transmitted over ADS-B out using a UAT datalink, but you can still color me skeptical that the ADS600-B covers the 1090ES datalink requirement for flight over FL 180....