Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NavWorx ADS-B Connections

NavWorx ADS-B Connections

I installed the Navworx ADSB box this week end. The traffic is amazing, up to 28 targets on Sunday evening while flying over the top of Atlanta Hartsfield. However, the one problem I noticed was that if you looked carefully you would see a yellow target right underneath your airplane, colored yellow. It always matched my altitude, and since I wasn't getting an audio traffic warning, I concluded that it was being presented by the ADSB and not the TIS from the Garmin 330. I spoke with Bill Moffit and ran another wire last night, and configured the ADSB to accept the squawk codes from the Garmin 330 and on this morning's flight the ghost target was gone.
    So here is the fix:

Run a single conductor shielded wire from either RS232 1 or RS232 2 of the 330 transponder to pin 33 of the ADSB box. Pin 33 is not documented for this purpose yet, but it works. We are already using pin 7 for the AFS serial altitude out to the ADSB, so pin 7 is unavailable. Configure the 330 for REMOTE + TIS. Then, using the PC attached to the maintenance port of the ADSB send the command TXCP GTX330. You can verify it is working by putting in a code other than 1200 in the 330 and then use the READ ALL command to the ADSB and see the new Squawk code in the ADSB box.

It was NOT fun getting upside down to install this wire to the back of the 330! Hopefully, this will help those who are still in the wiring phases.

Vic
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

I really don't understand how the ADSB box is picking up so much more traffic than what you would normally see for TIS-A in a radar environment. I could understand if you had a couple more since those aircraft could potentially be ADSB transceiver equiped and you wouldn't see them on a TIS-A stream. In displaying TIS-A inly, could it be that your 330 is filtering out those other targets because their not in your "immediate" area? Also, are you viewing composite TIS, i.e. your 330 serially connected to the ADSB transceiver so it can blend both TIS-A & TIS-B together? Are you able to see the difference in the targets in terms of more info that is displayed?

I am sure that it is a range and distance configuration, which is not configurable within the TIS but is configurable within the ADSB. This week end on the way to SNF and back we could dramatically see the difference due to the setup in my airplane--- 2-4500's and 1-3400. The 4500's support both TIS and ADSB, but the 3400 only displays the TIS. At least that's what I noticed on the trip. We could see many targets on the ADSB and only 1 or sometimes none on the TIS. The TIS is a much closer view, agreed. But I sure like the longer range view of the ADSB, especially inside the Atlanta Class B where the jet traffic is moving so fast.

Vic,

I've been following your recent postings on here and VAF. I'm putting in a couple 4500s and a 3400 too. I asked Trevor about compatibility between the two as was led to believe that the 3400 could display anything the 4500 could, the only difference was the menu trees and control input (i.e. buttons and knobs). Your post indicates a different result. Are you finding anything else other that ADS-B that won't display on the 3400?

thanks,
    bob
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

TIS-A is limited to 12 targets where TIS-B can have up to 32. It has to do with the hardware more than anything.

The ADS-B weather and traffic will work on all of our s-cpu units.
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems
    Support@Advanced-Flight-Systems.com

Bob, I wouldn't talk you out of your setup, as that is what I have. I don't have the S cpu in my 3400, so that might be making the difference, too.

Vic

That is correct, non-s CPU units cannot take advantage of the ADS-B box. ADS-B wasn't available when we were manufacturing the non-s units.
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems
    Support@Advanced-Flight-Systems.com

Have talked to Navworx and cant determine if I will have an issue on ghost target with garmin320 transponder,analog version. Anybody know?

Just got ADS-B working w/my 4500

I have connected a NavWorx box to my 4500. In the Minneapolis area I get TIS-B up to about 30 miles from Minneapolis and after that all the traffic disappears. I'm wondering if this is a problem with my installation (perhaps signal attenuation between the NavWorx box and the antenna) or is this just that there isn't much coverage yet in MN?

I really like the traffic depiction - the motion vectors really help visualize the direction of traffic. And the times I've actually seen the targets outside the cockpit (amazing how many I couldn't see) they were right where the display showed them relative to me.

I have seen up to 16 targets but no more, is the 4500 limited to only 16 or is this just a coincidence?

Mark Olson F1-EVO Rocket

Quote Originally Posted by molson309 View Post
    I have connected a NavWorx box to my 4500. In the Minneapolis area I get TIS-B up to about 30 miles from Minneapolis and after that all the traffic disappears. I'm wondering if this is a problem with my installation (perhaps signal attenuation between the NavWorx box and the antenna) or is this just that there isn't much coverage yet in MN?
    Hmm, if you look at this chart, you should have plenty of coverage. http://navworx.com/PDFs/ADS-B_coverage_map-mt.pdf

What transponder do you have? If you have a GTX-330, it appears that you may be getting TIS-A from the transponder and not the TIS-B. Although I would think that should be further than 30 miles too. Obviously, I'm just guessing here.

What is MAXDIST and MAXALT set to?

Are you getting the FIS-B?

Let's us know what Bill @ Navworx says when you give him a call.

I just got mine on Friday and am just in the process of installing it. I'm not flying yet, so I have no experience other than reading the manual many times.

bob
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler