Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NavWorx ADS-B Connections

I am seeing the FIS-B data as well. I don't have a Mode S transponder so all traffic is coming from the NavWorx box. I do not remember what the MAXDIST and MAXALT parameters are set to.
    What seems to happen is when I take off from FCM I get traffic almost immediately upon climbing. It disappears somewhere 20-30 NM from MSP. Upon coming back to the MSP area, I often don't get traffic until I am a lot closer to MSP than I was when it originally stopped - sometimes almost on top of FCM. I think I am getting FIS-B information before I see any traffic.

I've never seen traffic displayed anywhere other than what I described above, and so far the max I have seen is 16 targets.

I am going to recheck my cable from the NavWorx box to the antenna. It's possible there's a problem, such as a short, causing it to attenuate the signal and hence dramatically reducing the range. I do know that I enabled the transmitter, so that's not the problem.

I've also seen another graph somewhere showing the location of ADS-B ground stations. It only shows 2 of them in MN, one at MSP and another to the southwest (perhaps MKT?). It sure doesn't look like the state has a lot of coverage at present. The FAA ADS-B site only shows what the coverage is projected to be by 2013, so that information isn't terribly useful. So I am confused about what the ADS-B coverage in MN really is at present.

Mark Olson F1-EVO

It sounds like you are only getting TIS-A information if you loose traffic 30nm from MSP and are only getting 16 targets. I think that is the max the GTX-330 will output. You may want to call NavWorx regarding this.

Regarding the ADS-B map on the FAA website; it isn't quite 100% accurate. On the way to OSH from Oregon, we lost ADS-B once we hit Eastern OR and didn't pick it up again until getting to within about 50nm of MSP. It worked from that point all the way to OSH.
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems
    Support@Advanced-Flight-Systems.com

Trevor,

Traffic can't be coming from a Mode S transponder because Mark said he doesn't have one. Taking a wild guess here, but I wonder if the ADSB site is not fully TIS-B functional so they are re-broadcasting TIS-A traffic as TIS-B thus explaining the limited range that you would get with TIS-A?

It is possible that he isn't using a full serial port either and is just using the TIS output from the ADS600-B. The DISPLAY port in the ADS600-B manual should be wired to one of our serial ports (usually Port 3). If he is just using the TIS output, it will only send TIS-B data rather than both TIS-B and FIS-B.
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems

I used serial port #3 for the TIS output. It very well could be that there were not more than 16 targets at the time I looked at it. However, I am still puzzled at the lack of range for the traffic. I am getting METARS/TAF/graphical WX data - but am not sure of the range I'm getting with these. On my flight from MSP to Duluth I lost the WX products somewhere along the way, I suspect a little further out than the TIS data, but it's not quite the coverage I expected.

I have not yet flown east of MSP so I don't know what I'd get for traffic reception in that direction. I can now compare what I receive to what I know others have seen - TIS all the way from MSP to Oshkosh. I do know that traffic disappeared quickly once I moved south from FCM.

It sounds like the wiring is correct then. I think it is just a coverage issue. ADS-B doesn't go very far West of MSP as of right now.
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems

I was flying on Saturday and saw 17 targets, so the 16 limit I saw was a coincidence. I got info from NavWorx that TIS-B is limited to 15 miles, but wasn't certain if that was 15 miles from the aircraft or from the center of the coverage area. I did fly southeast from MSP but at a lower altitude (3500 MSL) and the coverage went away at about the same distance from MSP as I saw to the west. The AFS4500 outlines the ADSB info in yellow when coverage is lost, so it's easy to tell that apart from when there are just no targets in range. I will try a more extended flight east of MSP at a higher altitude to see if I keep coverage further in that direction.

Mark Olson F1-EVO Rocket

At 3,500 you are limiting yourself on coverage. The ADS-B stations are line-of-sight, so the higher you are, the further it is going to work until you hit another ground station. Try going higher and doing some testing East of MSP.
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems

Last night I flew east of MSP to about 20nm west of Eau Claire, WI, at about 8500 ft. I lost ADSB about 15 miles from MSP and did not get it back again until I got close to FCM.

It's somewhat difficult to tell if ADSB is working or not - I based my above statement on the fact that WX did not refresh until I got back within range of MSP. I have checked the coaxial cable between the UAT antenna and the box, and it isn't open or shorted, but perhaps it's attenuating the signal in another way. I may try to make another cable just to see if this resolves the problem.

Mark Olson F1-EVO Rocket

In July, we flew from Oklahoma to California (San Francisco area). From Eastern NM all to way to and back from CA, we had traffic about 80 to 90% of the time. We had WX only 2 times and that was for about 2 to 3 minutes each.
    I am not sure if they are transmitting WX all the time.

PS: We have In-n-Out.
    Gary Blankenbiller
    RV-10 N2GB