Thread: Max Airspeed

Max Airspeed

When the A/P sees max airspeed, what does it do? Level off? Disconnect? Maintain vertical speed? It feels like it adjusts vertical speed to stay below the max airspeed.

I have my max set at the top of the green arc, which is where I want it for cruise. I worry about a big updraft in IMC that pushes the nose over, then exits the updraft (bump) at a high airspeed. But sometimes it would be nice to increase it a bit in smooth descents without going into the setup to adjust the max airspeed. Any suggestions?

Same question for min airspeed. What should I expect if I get too slow?

BTW, you guys deserve a pat on the back (TruTrak too, Lucas!). I never dreamed I'd be asking about stuff like this regarding my A/P. The system is incredibly versatile and capable.

I talk to Stec owners who just drool over what we can do. Thanks!

When the A/P sees max/min airspeed it will raise/lower the nose to hold that speed (until reaching the desired bug altitude and leveling off).
    That updraft/downdraft issue is indeed a nuisance. We need to look at creating a "Maintain 0fpm" mode for the autopilot, and that would probably be the solution.
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems
    Support@Advanced-Flight-Systems.com

One of those S-Tec 30 owners is working up a plan to go digital...replacing the 8-Pack stack with dual 4500's and AF-Pilot. Mostly due to the added functionality of the AF-Pilot but partially due to S-Tec's new customer service model since they were bought a couple of times. In order to get my unit repaired (blown soldered-in fuses due to voltage spike - which I fixed), I have had to send it to an avionics shop for them to re-ship to S-Tec...before, I was able to RMA direct.

That isn't the first time I've heard of issues with the parent company's new customer service model. Please let us know if you have any questions regarding the AF-Pilot, our EFIS screens, or the integration and wiring between them.
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems
    Support@Advanced-Flight-Systems.com