Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Winds aloft

A quick fix for the static ports is -------cut the head off of a vans standard static port pop rivet and while using a toothpick or a used pop rivet mandrel for alignment, epoxy or JB weld the head onto the flat static port. It works as we have done several this way and it has brought the airspeed in flight right in with the rest of us. They should stay on forever. Larry

Larry I guess I do things the hard way. Your way is much faster. Don

Did it change the readings in IAS? Thanks

Two examples are, A friend with the flat ports flew often with several of us who have the vans style and was always reading about 8-10 miles off in cruise, after this fix we were all about the same. Another friend had a pitot static combo inlet mounted on the wing and was off as well. after changing to the vans style it read the same as us. This fix came from another local pilot who had an a/s indication error and have heard it has worked for several more. Larry

<y ,ethod also changed both the IAS and the altitude .

Make that My method

Larry, I'm not familiar with the Van's parts and setup you describe. I see they have a static port kit on the web store [STATIC-KIT] but there's no picture. Can you post a picture or two? I'm currently using a static port from ACS that sits up about 3/32" off the fuselage and, like others here, I have ~8 MPH error at cruise. Thanks.
    Ron
    Murphy Rebel / Jabiru 3300A
    Dual AF-3400s (EF/EE+AOA)
    http://n254mr.com

This is an RV kit that includes a large pop rivet for each side of the fuselage. Not sure how it would work on a Murphy. I believe that the static ports are very relative to specific aircraft. An example would be the Glastar, it has a very unique port and placement. Larry

Yes, of course, it may or may not be appropriate for other planes. I'm just trying to learn what it looks like. Does the kit just rely on the holes (rivets sans mandrels) to equalize inside & outside ambient pressures, or is static plumbing somehow connected to the inside of these large rivet heads, or...?
    Ron
    Murphy Rebel / Jabiru 3300A
    Dual AF-3400s (EF/EE+AOA)
    http://n254mr.com

OK. Vans stuff is quite simplistic, sometimes it will make you laugh but it always works. You, at the proper location on the fuselage, drill a 1/8" hole, install a 1/8" large faced domed pop rivet, drive the mandrel out of the pop rivet with the broken off piece of the mandrel, then attach the static system hose with the help of some RTV to the pop rivet inside of the fuselage and route it to where you want it to go. Larry