Hi Noah,

Thanks for the correction.
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems
    Support@Advanced-Flight-Systems.com

Hi Trevor,

Overall, great document to aid in validating these complex key components. This helped immensely. THANK YOU AFS for putting these type of documents together in the first place.

I've some comments, for your consideration, for the next revision. I noticed that the stand alone doc on the web as compared to the one in Appendix I of the 7.1 manual are different. Appendix I seems more recent. My comments will be with regards to the Appendix I version.

In "Section 2 - Verify that the 430W Configuration is correct":

- I think that subsections "b" and "c" should be switched to help preserve the flow of knob turning. The "Main RS232 Config" is 1 click away from the "Main ARINC 429 Config" page. The "VOR / LOC / GS ARINC Config" then follows about 13 clicks later.

Perhaps a small note in this area that that the RS-232 Config is specific to AFS's schematic. I bring this up since my harness, as supplied from a third party, used a different serial port on the 430W. There were not any notes to indicate that, either. If it had not been for me verifying the harness prior to installation, this would have caused a lot of confusion/frustration.

In "Section 3 - Verify that the 430W GPS ARINC to EFIS interface is working":

In subsection "a", not only should the CRS needle be set to "CRS/GNAV1", but also BRG set to "BRG/GNAV1" and CDI set to "CDI/AUTO". The EFIS picture does not display any of the bearing information. The "BRG/GNAV1" setting is especially needed for the next section, 5.

Perhaps in subsection "c", a small table detailing that LCDI on the 430W is the CDI on the EFIS and that VCDI on the 430W is the VDI on the EFIS. Scratch that, why not a picture? Something like, but nicer and more professional looking:
    I believe I've got everything that relates to each other properly drawn out. If not, I'd like to know.

Very minor, but the Waypoint ID seems to be 'GARMN', no 'I'.

In section "5. Verify that the 430W NAV ARINC to EFIS interface is working":

In subsection b, there isn't a switch labeled VLOC on the 430W. One much push the CDI button until VLOC is displayed in the lower left screen of the 430W.

In section "6. Verify that the EFIS can send commands to the Autopilot"

In subsection "f" a small note indicating that for newer versions of the AFS Pilot (not sure what firmware version and above), the display will read "EXT LS VS" when the EFIS button on the A/P is pushed. You should also see a "GPS OK" with a flashing "*".

In section "7. EFIS and Autopilot Gain Settings"

Would you consider adding a small note on how and where to set the EFIS and A/P settings. For example, the EFIS settings are under the EFIS -> AP/FD -> SETTINGS menu. And for the A/P, the "LAT" settings are accessed by pushing the AP button for a couple of seconds and the "VRT" settings by pushing the EFIS button for a couple of seconds.

Could you also add a blurb about what one should see when the A/P source switch is switched to the 430W? I only get "EXT LS" on the A/P rather than "EXT LS VS". I don't know if this is indicative of a problem or not.

Thank you,
    /\/elson
    Last edited by dnelson; 07-05-2012 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Updated img url.

Thank you nelson!

Thanks Nelson, for an early Christmas present. Your graphic, corrections, and recommendations for improvements to this document are most helpful.

I have been pulling my hair out all week - I spent 9 hours over the last 6 days trying to troubleshoot why the OBS on my 430W would SOMETIMES update when the CRS was changed on the EFIS. Other times it would be blanked out. I wrung out my harness multiple times, removed the 430W at least a dozen times, powered the system on and off easily over 100 times, and spent a half hour on the phone with tech support - being told my problem had to be harness related, and was just about to build a new test harness (or try to borrow a friend's 430W & ARINC box, being totally out of ideas) when I saw your post.

I was using an obsolete version of this document from the website, not realizing there is an updated version in the manual, and the obsolete document does not tell you to ENSURE THE 430 IS NOT IN VLOC MODE AT STARTUP. Sometimes the OBS would be displayed, sometimes it would not in my case.

AFS, you might consider revision letters on ALL of your documents to prevent this sort of problem from recurring with your other customers. The first question on a tech support phone call should be "Are you using Revision B of the troubleshooting document"? Just like with software revs. This might have eliminated a lot of headaches.

Nelson, I will check to see whether I also get EXT LS only when switching my source select switch to the 430W & post tomorrow. I owe you one anyway, BIG time.
    Last edited by NoahF; 12-24-2010 at 10:42 AM.
    Highest Regards,

Noah F
    RV-7A
    Rhode Island

Nelson, I get the same result you did with the AP Source Switch, as seen here:

Highest Regards,

Noah F
    RV-7A
    Rhode Island

Hi Noah,

I feel your frustration - I do not think there is anything more frustrating than chasing wiring gremlins (phantom or not). It sounds like you got it squared away - good for you! Anyway, I have you to thank; if you had not opened the thread, I would not have posted my various scribbles and notes.

In one way, I'm very glad that AFS posts these little trouble shooting docs. Unfortunately, if not handled in a an organised manner, the risk of having multiple copies floating around can get unruly. I was originally working off of the stand-alone doc. It was by chance that I noticed that the 7.1 version was more recent.

...ENSURE THE 430 IS NOT IN VLOC MODE AT STARTUP.
    I'm not sure I understand this. Would you mind elaborating? Oh wait ... are you saying that you shut the 430 off with the CDI set to VLOC and on power up it remained this way or something else?

Nelson, I will check to see whether I also get EXT LS only when switching my source select switch to the 430W & post tomorrow.
    Thank you - I'll be curious what you find.

For the lack of a better description, I've also noticed "spurious ARINC" data. I'm going to open a separate thread on that, though. Have you seen this also?

Take care,
    /\/elson

Hi Noah,

Thanks for the pictures. I'm confused, though. How is the A/P getting the GS FLG info if it is getting data from the 430W? Never mind ... figured it out. Turns out that I had never flipped the A/P Src switch while the 430W was in "Instrument Test Phase". I show the exact same thing.

...ENSURE THE 430 IS NOT IN VLOC MODE AT STARTUP.
    I also figured out what you were talking about. That's a sneaky one! There should probably be a note saying that if one sees "---" for the OBS field, to hit 'ENT' to complete the boot-up of the 430W, change the CDI mode to GPS and then power-cycle the 430W back into "Instrument Test Page".

My Wife and I love the "PILOT EJECT" switch! ROTFL!

Take care,

Just for clarification on the AP display nomenclature. EXT LS stands for EXTernal Lateral Steering. The large VS on the right side of the display stands for Vertical Steering. When you switch to the 430W if not in approach mode, then there is no valid vertical steering data so you don't see the VS and instead see the APs stand alone alitutde hold or select vertical speed modes. I hope this helps!
    Lucas
    Trutrak Tech Support

Lucas is my hero. Thanks for the clarification.
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems
    Support@Advanced-Flight-Systems.com

Hi Lucas. That makes sense. I take it, then, that when the 430W is in the "Instrument Test Page", that it is simulating an approach (the GS needle is deflected half way up) and is thus sending a valid VS signal. This then shows up as the "GS Flg" on the A/P. Correct?