Thread: WX Worx data test

WX Worx data test

Hi Trevor:

Could you clarify something for me. I have a 4500/3500 setup in my RV-7 under construction. A WxWorx box is routed to the 3500 (WX master) through a router. Last month I had everything all working properly in my shop at home. The WXWorx box showed a solid data light on the data display with also a solid light on the signal display (I couldn't actually get any data because I have not signed up for XM weather yet).

I have now moved the project to my hangar (steel structure) and now of course I get no XM signal (light is not illuminated). The data light is now blinking. Is that normal with no XM signal present or is there a problem with the WxWorx box talking to the AFS boxes? After getting 2 feet of snow Saturday, I might be a while before I can roll the airplane outside to check on XM reception!

Thanks

Doug Weiler

I think ,if memory serves me right, that I had the same problem without a subscription and a signal. Look at the trouble shooting guide for the worx box and it may reassure you to wait until you subscribe before worrying about it. Larry

Yes, I did Larry and it is really not too clear in that regard. The data lights shows communication with the display device which I would assume it has even without a signal but then again, maybe it needs some data to transmit! Let's see what AFS says.

Press [CHECK -> MAINT. -> ABOUT] and look on the lower left of the screen. It should show a receiver ID number which indicates it is talking to the WxWorx box. There is also a signal strength indicator. You must have the latest software version (7.10.24) to have the XM health feature on the About page.
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems
    Support@Advanced-Flight-Systems.com

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Conroy View Post
    Press [CHECK -> MAINT. -> ABOUT] and look on the lower left of the screen. It should show a receiver ID number which indicates it is talking to the WxWorx box. There is also a signal strength indicator. You must have the latest software version (7.10.24) to have the XM health feature on the About page.
    Hi Trevor:

Yep, I do have that information displayed and it does show a radio ID and also a "CONNECTED" display which alternates between a "Weather Last Data" clock. Since I do not have the antenna connected, I have "Unknown" displayed in the "Signal Strength" and "Antenna" line. But I still have the data light on the WXWorx box blinking. Is that normal under these circumstances?

Doug

Yes, that is normal.
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems
    Support@Advanced-Flight-Systems.com

You can also request a temporary xm subscription for testing purposes from WX worx. They set up a 24 hr subscription for me to ensure everything was working properly.
    Highest Regards,

Noah F
    RV-7A
    Rhode Island