Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: jeppesen and AF

Bernard,
    I got answer the same day.
    Give them a ring!

Christian

I'll start by saying that I am very happy that I chose AFS for my installation but I'm very frustrated with the whole set-up process. I've just spent a good couple of hours deciphering from this forum and the AFS instructions how to download and install the European mapping software and I THINK I've finally worked it out. Why is it necessary for me to learn a whole new language in order to get the system up and running? I'm not particularly conversant with computer language but it shouldn't be necessary for me to be so. Surely it's possible to provide a simple set of "quick start" instructions, rather than the 70 page instruction manual in order to get a general feel of what is is one is trying to achieve?

Here's my synopsis, please tell me if it's right.

1. Understand that you must use two different SD cards for a) AFS software upgrades and b) mapping software/data
    2. For card a) go to the AFS webstore and download the latest files for the correct operation of your unit onto the card. These files will be contained in a "zip" file, which is a digital envelope. Your AFS unit does not contain a letter opener and so you must remove the data from the envelope in order for the unit to be able to see it. This is done by executing the command "extract all files" on your computer. You must then install the card in your AFS unit BEFORE TURING IT ON. Once the card is inserted you can turn the unit on from the aircrafts main power supply and push buttons in the following sequence: (PLEASE ENTER CORRECT SEQUENCE) to get to the page where you can ask your unit to upload or "restore" the new files.
    3.Understand that for the mapping data with synthetic vision there are three different files required for it to work. These files are for Map data, Terrain data and Vector data and so you will notice the terms "MAP", "TER" and "VEC" contained in the file names. You may also notice the terms "US" or "EU" somewhere in the file name. This gives you a clue as to the geography of the data contained therein and it's pertinance to your requirements.
    4. Understand that for European users, you can only obtain one of these files from the AFS webstore, that being the "MAP" file. The other two files, "VEC" and "TER" must be obtained directly from Jeppeson.
    5. Be aware that the Jeppeson website is not the easiest site to navigate. One would hope that by typing "AFS" into their search engine you would be directed to the correct page but alas, you are told that "nothing found".
    6. Once you have found the correct page for AFS data, you will find that the page title (How to purchase) does nothing but instruct you to call them up.
    7.When you look up the contact details on their site, you will notice that they are open Mon-Sat, but in fact they are not open on Saturdays. If you follow a link to the UK branch you will see that they are open on Saturdays, but when you call them up you will here a message saying "we're not open on Saturdays".
    8.Be aware that this data may or may not be (when you finally get it) contained in another envelope (zip file) and you must follow the same procedure as for card a) to install it.
    9. By the time you get this far you will think, forget this, I'm off to the pub!

It's OK, I'm calm now! I realise some of the above is unreasonable, but, well, I don't know.......

I apologize for your frustrations. Here are the steps in a nutshell.
    This applies to INTERNATIONAL Map Data only!

1) Install your MAP SD card in your computer and delete any existing map files
    2) Download the latest Terrain and Vector files from our web store for your region (they are packaged in 1 compressed zip file).
    3) Extract the contents of the zip file onto your SD card (should be 2 files one with VEC and one with TER in the name).
    5) Call Jeppesen and order the map file for your region.
    4) Use the Jeppesen Services Update Manager to download and install the map file onto the SD card. It programs it automatically.
    5) You will now have another file on the card that looks like this "AFSMAPxx.AFM" (xx being your region).
    6) Install the map card in your EFIS and power the EFIS on. Verify the map date is correct on the 'I Agree' screen.
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems
    Support@Advanced-Flight-Systems.com

I apologize for your frustrations
    Not necessary, I was having a bad day!
    Thanks for the overview anyhow.
    Colin

Trevor,
    I had another attempt this evening without success.
    I have two SD cards, one I've labelled "SYS" and one I've labelled "MAP"
    If I install my "MAP" sd card in my PC I can see that it contains 3 files:
    AF2TERUE.AFM
    AF2VECEU.AFM
    AFSMAPEU.AFM

My "SYS" card has a folder called AF4000VS80328-MV15-AV40 and 21 other files amongst which are AFSVECUS.AFM, AFSMAPUS.AFM and AFSTERUS.AFM
    Should I delete these US files?

I've tried installing both cards and then powering up but I still don't get any maps or any sign that the system has detected the new files and has uploaded them.
    I get the "No map" text.
    The "I agree" screen shows "57 10 24 MV15"
    What am I doing wrong?
    Colin
    Last edited by stickandrudderman; 06-21-2011 at 01:05 PM. Reason: clarity

Colin,
    You said your SYS card has a folder in it. Get rid of that folder and just put the install files in the root directory of the card. The ONLY files that should be on the SYS card are a folder called afs_install and files called ARINC.hex, VPXHW01.hex, VPXHW01.MD5, and ARINCTAS.hex.
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems

Success! Now I just have to work out why I've got "No GPS"........

Check your Serial Port settings in Instrument Calibration. Also verify the 3 lines below that which identifies your GPS/NAV Sources. Lastly, verify the map is set to use the correct source (MAP -> SETTINGS -> SRC (/GNAV1/GPS1/GPS2..efc)
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems

Thanks, I'll check it out.
    Having installed the latest software as per your earlier instructions, does that mean that the latest ARINC software would automatically have been installed, or is that a separate procedure.
    If it's separate, where do I find the latest software for ARINC? I've searched this forum and the manual and found references to downloading and installing the latest ARINC software but can't find a direct link to it on your store support page as stated on P64 of the manual.
    Colin